Urgent help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help please

I need to know the in/out colours for the speedo - I've searched the forum but can only find green/blue (for the speed sensor) which I don't have at the multi plug on the back of the instrument cluster.

Got the dash in pieces waiting to connect the converter so help would be much appreciated

Thanx
    Junks

You might get an answer if we all knew what vehicle you got!

Comment

Guess the car...

I'm guessing that it must be a third generation Surf (actually I'm assuming that it's a Surf). Wouldn't need to go through all of these shanigans with a 2nd gen.

Anyone want to try guessing the engine size? What are the choices with a 3rd gen? lols

Hope you've managed to get the wiring sorted m8. Nothing more frustrating - I've had the same problem myself when trying to fit remote central locking to my 2nd gen.
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by nednil
        I'm guessing that it must be a third generation Surf (actually I'm assuming that it's a Surf). Wouldn't need to go through all of these shanigans with a 2nd gen.
        Why not...?
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Sorry guys I was in a rush & forgot that bit!! Doh!!

It's a 93 3.0 TD Auto KZN 130

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
            Why not...?
            Just replace the KPH dial with an MPH dial.

Why would you want to do anymore? Seems like a lot of hassle presumably to convert the odometer from KMs to Miles - you'd have to wind the 'clock' back as well wouldn't you? Won't it also affect the read out of the speed as well, i.e. where the needle point on the dial face?

Sorry for the all the questions I genuinely don't know the answers! I just changed the dial on mine and am very happy with the result. I sense that Imay be about to be enlightened!

Comment

Does the attached wiring diagram help? It's for a 4Runner, but by and large I've found the wiring to be identical for the Surf.

InstrumentCluster

It's a 1Mb jpeg so may take a little time to open, but hopefully it'll be clear and readable.

Comment

Just replace the KPH dial with an MPH dial.

Why would you want to do anymore? Seems like a lot of hassle presumably to convert the odometer from KMs to Miles - you'd have to wind the 'clock' back as well wouldn't you? Won't it also affect the read out of the speed as well, i.e. where the needle point on the dial face?

Sorry for the all the questions I genuinely don't know the answers! I just changed the dial on mine and am very happy with the result. I sense that Imay be about to be enlightened!
                Personally, I prefer the adapters, it leaves the speedo face looking original, the needle points to right number for MPH and the odo reads in miles which is nicer.

Older cable drive uses a little gearbox on the speedo cable, electronic ones have a little box that solders to the back of the dash and alters the speed sensor pulses, as the one in this thread.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanx Ned - unfortuantely I think mines a bit different due to being Auto, I know I've got to cut the wire from the speed sensor to the dash & the return that goes to the ECU I have to reroute to the converter but which wires

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Personally, I prefer the adapters, it leaves the speedo face looking original, the needle points to right number for MPH and the odo reads in miles which is nicer.

Older cable drive uses a little gearbox on the speedo cable, electronic ones have a little box that solders to the back of the dash and alters the speed sensor pulses, as the one in this thread.

So do you have to wind the clock back so that it reflects the true Miles travelled reading or do you just put up with the fact that the first x,xxx were in KMs and the remainder in miles?

Comment

So do you have to wind the clock back so that it reflects the true Miles travelled reading or do you just put up with the fact that the first x,xxx were in KMs and the remainder in miles?
                      Dealers should wind it back, so you get a proper readng in miles, which is why its not a surprise so many milages are 'clocked' it just to tempting while the dash is out, the same applies when changing the dash face though.

When Linda first saw her truck, it was in KM's, after it was SVA'd it read the right amount miles for the KM's it turned up with.

See yah next week.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X