X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leccy ariel

Hi all
    just backed through a bush and forgot the ariel was up F**K
    can our illustrious members of the forum share their viewpoints, opinions and cures for this faux pas
    It would be very much apreciated if the following were not included;
    replace it
    fix it
    what a plonker
    turn the radio off next time
    etc etc
    I know I have been a pillock especially as it was in my own drive (I reccon my missus moved it)
    I think this is not a good place for an electric arial and reccon many have been busted esp off road - who has done what - where, and what was the reception like after - any problems encountered would also be apreciated
    Tony
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Well, I'm sure you know the forum shop offers replacements, but that's not going to stop it happening again.

I've seen a few posts by people that have managed to fit a whip aerial into the original mounting. I snapped mine off recently when green laneing and decided to replace it with the bee sting variety. It's really flexible so should imagine it will last a while. The reception is as good as it was with the stock aerial.

As another option I've seen some aerials in halfords that are attached to the inside of the windscreen, like a sticker, but I'm not sure how good they are.
    Attached Files
    [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

we will have to stop meeting like this

Originally posted by Slate8
      Well, I'm sure you know the forum shop offers replacements, but that's not going to stop it happening again.

I've seen a few posts by people that have managed to fit a whip aerial into the original mounting. I snapped mine off recently when green laneing and decided to replace it with the bee sting variety. It's really flexible so should imagine it will last a while. The reception is as good as it was with the stock aerial.

As another option I've seen some aerials in halfords that are attached to the inside of the windscreen, like a sticker, but I'm not sure how good they are.
      thanks mate
      how easy was it to get the ariel cable through - must say I like the look of it and I can fill the wing hole with my stubby phone thing, it's only 3" long!!!!
      steady everyone!!!!!
      Yeh I did know about the replacements and still havn't ruled that out but
      drive in £25
      drive out£25
      forgot something in & out £50
      methinks could get a bit expencive!
      hope to get lots of posts to help me decide - used to be indicisive now i'm not so sure (do know I can't spell)
      Ta again
      Tony
      Tony

Comment

If you want to carry on driving through undergrowth try a coathanger. You get a free one with every trip to the drycleaners. You can also make some interesting artistic shapes out of it.

I have the short "rubber duck" type thing on my landy, that works OK. On the window type aerial I used to have a Rangey that seemed to have no aerial until I found out they used the heated rear screen, so I suppose the window things must be OK also.
        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

yea did the same thing. eventualy snapped right off after being straightened a dozen times.
          I replaced mine with one that should go on a roof. short flexy rubber thing.
          The reception is at least as good if not better than before.
          I just cut the end off the cable and wired it to the new arial to save fannying about feeding a new one through to the radio.

Just one thing though it's a real pain to try to get to the hole from the underside and you need fingers like a spider monkey to do the nuts up. a ratchet ring spanner is worth its weight in gold.
          mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
            If you want to carry on driving through undergrowth try a coathanger. You get a free one with every trip to the drycleaners. You can also make some interesting artistic shapes out of it.

I have the short "rubber duck" type thing on my landy, that works OK. On the window type aerial I used to have a Rangey that seemed to have no aerial until I found out they used the heated rear screen, so I suppose the window things must be OK also.
            cheers
            as mine is a bit posh the coat hanger isnt realy on. used to come not too far from you - in that neck of the woods it must be "watch out fot low flying 4x4's"
            Tally Ho!
            tony
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
              yea did the same thing. eventualy snapped right off after being straightened a dozen times.
              I replaced mine with one that should go on a roof. short flexy rubber thing.
              The reception is at least as good if not better than before.
              I just cut the end off the cable and wired it to the new arial to save fannying about feeding a new one through to the radio.

Just one thing though it's a real pain to try to get to the hole from the underside and you need fingers like a spider monkey to do the nuts up. a ratchet ring spanner is worth its weight in gold.
              thanks for that Greebo
              my missus has long slim fingers I'll get her to tighten my nuts up -in your town tomorrow evening en route to Irvine - if you see a blue towing a strange white trailer with fire logos on give us a
              tony
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                thanks for that Greebo
                my missus has long slim fingers I'll get her to tighten my nuts up -in your town tomorrow evening en route to Irvine - if you see a blue towing a strange white trailer with fire logos on give us a
                tony
                make sure she doesn't loosen them!.... your arse could fall off!
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  make sure she doesn't loosen them!.... your arse could fall off!
                  thought that hapened when you undo your belly button
                  Tony

Comment

I fitted a roof aerial from a car accessories place, only £7.99.
                    Fitting was easy, removed rear veiw mirror and interior light fitting, drilled a hole, squirt a bead of black silicone around the hole fit aerial mast base, tighten nut, fit cable, feed it along the top of windscreen behind headlining and down drivers side pillar, behind plastic trim, then fed it behind dash to the back of radio. there was just enough!
                    I chose a chrome one, but you can get black ones aswell and they extend and the angle is adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                      thanks mate
                      how easy was it to get the ariel cable through - must say I like the look of it and I can fill the wing hole with my stubby phone thing, it's only 3" long!!!!
                      steady everyone!!!!!
                      Yeh I did know about the replacements and still havn't ruled that out but
                      drive in £25
                      drive out£25
                      forgot something in & out £50
                      methinks could get a bit expencive!
                      hope to get lots of posts to help me decide - used to be indicisive now i'm not so sure (do know I can't spell)
                      Ta again
                      Tony
                      Laying the cable takes about half an hour. I bought the aerial and a cable extension from Halfords. You need to remove parts of the dash to gain access to the stereo and feed the new cable around the glove box. you can unscrew the plastic running strips from the door sills and thread the cable under the carpet. Remove the rear trim and feed the cable to where you plan to install the aerial. Then, there's a pretty good guide here that explains how to mark up and drill the hole for the new aerial and hey presto.

All in all it took me about an hour and a half.
                      Last edited by Slate8; 9 August 2005, 13:36.
                      [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                      X