Stereo Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Installation

Hi, maybe this should be in general, but I just thought I'd let'chall know that I'm about to try to install a used stereo system I bought (been about 20,000K radio free since I bought the truck, and that's enough!)

I'll probably end up with some Q's, as I have not experience and little aptitude for this sort of thing, but for starts I carefully removed the deck from my old Isuzu and found a very neat, clean parcel of cables taped together. Here is a picture of what greeted me when I got the lower dash off of the surf pickup.

was going to attach an image, but it's taking too long on dial up. Suffice to say the wiring was a big, fat, MESS.

Ah.. time to ask a question...

Relay Light Reminder

So in behind the stereo is a little box labelled "Relay Light Reminder". It seems currently to have 2 wires running to nowhere, and two into the depths of my electrical system... any thoughts?
    Keegan

Comment

Hmmm... seems to have gone ok... have sound! :-) So even a complete dummy like me can do it... just picking along bit by bit... it did take quite a number of hours though.

One by one figured out the wires for the harness and hooked them in. Pulled out the little dead speakers in the rear doors, cut a bigger hole with a jigsaw (with the panel still on the door! I couldn't figgure out how to get the window roller off to realease the panel), added 6.5" alpines (screwed directly into the thin panelling... probably not the best way...) Found a way through the firewall, hooked the sub-amp to the battery, etc... I've never had subs in a vehicle before.. interesting...

For some reason the deck worked even though I initially had fogotten to hook up the ground wire?

The only negative is that the bigger speakers in my rear doors make it impossible to roll the windows down all the way. I'd like to have another set ... maybe components.. in the front to get a bit more of the high end clearly to my ears, but don't want to sacrafice the window - any ideas? where do you all put your stuff? Oh... and the subbox takes up most of my back seat... guess I'll have to build a custom one to fit in the teeny area behind the backseat. (I have the 4-door pickup)

Thanks for letting me sound off here,

Keegan
      Last edited by mrkeeg; 5 August 2005, 09:08.

Comment

if your wood working is any good you could make an mdf spacer to space the speaker out so it misses the window....will sound loads better if its fixed to the metalwork behind the door card. now you dont need to know, the winders have a clip behind them, a small flat screwdriver and a bit of fiddling should do it
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
        X