Radio wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio wiring question

The attachment below is what you see when you have pulled out your old Toyota radio. Anybody know what the unused block is for as it wasnt plugged into the old radio which was unbelievably basic with AM only.

switch+ve
    amp remote
    electric aerial
    and stuff like that
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      switch+ve
      amp remote
      electric aerial
      and stuff like that
      i thought it was for cd changer
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe
        i thought it was for cd changer
        um... yeah... could be!!

just thinking that orange is usually electric aerial
        yellow is +ve

but yeah they could be the +ve and the remote on for a cd changer!

or japanese confusion tactics! like vauxhall having brown -ve (german idea i'll wager!)

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
          um... yeah... could be!!

just thinking that orange is usually electric aerial
          yellow is +ve

but yeah they could be the +ve and the remote on for a cd changer!

or japanese confusion tactics! like vauxhall having brown -ve (german idea i'll wager!)
          that what Geezer told me in car electrics place in town here.
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
            The attachment below is what you see when you have pulled out your old Toyota radio. Anybody know what the unused block is for as it wasnt plugged into the old radio which was unbelievably basic with AM only.

Jim same as mine, your unused block was the one connected to my cd player, so now unused on mine. Got a lead for toyota motors that plugged straight on to the radio block on the surf and the other end onto the block from the new radio.
            hope this helps
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Check out www.installdr.com for details of the wiring.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

When you get your new stereo, nip into Halfords (or and audio place if you know one) and ask for a converter lead that will turn the Toyota loom into the standard iso system. It will have all the conversions wired in so the new unit simply plugs in and saves all the scotch lock and tape marathon that you used to have to do. It will probably use both plugs in your picture.

My local Halfords had one for my 2nd gen on the shelf.

Phil.

Comment

The unused block is the power supply to a woofer speeker amplifier that was an option.

The drawing is here:

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...oundsystem.jpg

Rich.
                  If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

thanks for the help lads, will try those links out now. But to those who reckon its a power supply for this or that, I checked each of the 5 wires going to the unused block and none of them carry 12volts

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H
                      When you get your new stereo, nip into Halfords (or and audio place if you know one) and ask for a converter lead that will turn the Toyota loom into the standard iso system. It will have all the conversions wired in so the new unit simply plugs in and saves all the scotch lock and tape marathon that you used to have to do. It will probably use both plugs in your picture.

My local Halfords had one for my 2nd gen on the shelf.

Phil.
                      Autoleads would be a better bet

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                        Check out www.installdr.com for details of the wiring.
                        BRILLIANT !!!

: click on favorites:
                        : click on add :

You de man Maurice

** according to this link, the unused block is for rear speakers which I dont have **
                        Last edited by JimL; 19 November 2003, 20:51.

Comment

This is true - it is fitted a standard on the 4runners - basically it powers the 2 rear speakers and roof tweeters at 2 Ohms
                          Last edited by rusty; 20 November 2003, 09:40.
                          NO WORRIES!
                          Rusty

Comment

hi Jiml

Have you actually checked to see if you have no back speakers. It may be that the amp just has no power going to it. If your fitting a sony head unit then you have to do a slight mod to the adapter you get to power the back amp.
                            Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Originally posted by high-surfer
                              hi Jiml

Have you actually checked to see if you have no back speakers. It may be that the amp just has no power going to it. If your fitting a sony head unit then you have to do a slight mod to the adapter you get to power the back amp.
                              Yep I've checked. I have the whole inside rear corner trim off and I can almost put my head in the hole to see behind where the speaker should be. I have a habit of taking things apart and not putting them back together again for 6 mths. I also have half the dash removed since July and you can look at the inner workings of my rear window while I sit in traffic. The carpet cover that clips onto the inside of the tailboard blew off my shed roof last week in the storms

Comment

Working...
                              X