Radio stuff, yes I have an expander.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio stuff, yes I have an expander.

Anyone got any experience with band expanders, mine works ok but I can't get R4, which is bad news cos I am a news freak. What I do seem to get is lots of dodgy pirate stations instead. I think some band expanders not only shift the frequencies but also alow the full range (jap frequency band is narrower than ours). Can anyone reccomend a good one? The one I used to have in my Paj seemed to pick up a lot more.

Next is there anyway to get the sat nav & TV working, I know its a toy but I want the bragging rights of having a TV in the car. I don't think it can be done easly, especially the sat nav.

I just finished fitting a parrot buetooth handsfree kit to mine, lots of work to keep the original radio but well worth it in the end.
    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Band expander..... ditch it, and buy a UK spec head unit. Much less hassle in the long run, and you can pick up a fairly decent CD/MP3 one for well under £100.

Sat Nav, no it'll never work over here. Only designed to work in Japan, and unless Toyota decide to create an update disc, that's the only place it'll ever work.

TV. In Japan they use the NTSC broadcast system, we use PAL, the two aren't compatible with each other, so the TV won't work. You may be able to use it to play DVDs if you can find a suitable DVD player and NTSC DVDs (you may get lucky and find a DVD player that will take PAL DVDs, and output an NTSC signal).

Sorry to be a bit negative, but you made the right choice with the rest of the car.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Band expander

If Id known there were people out there who wanted band expanders I would have kept mine. it seemed to pick up a full range of channels even if the radio lied about the frequency. Unfortunately its now in the council tip along with the old jap radio cd, which was replaced by a Kenwood radio/cd mp3 player from Pixmania.com at 76 quid. Every car needs a CD player, what else are you going to do with the freebies youve collected from the newspapers

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

I've a spare band expander thats brand new. I bought it from flea bay before I got the car (in preperation) to find that the importer had done it for me, bugger!

So if anyone wants one, let me know.

And on the TV side of things, I want my PS2 in the car, as it'll play DVD's too, but am currently looking into PAL to NTSC converters. I'll keep you imformed!!!!
        Cheers,
        Sean

Comment

TV Converter

Hi folks ... I'm new to the forum but have owned a MK 3 for seven years and 150,000 fun miles. Have just collected a fresher intercooler version with the oft discussed Sat Nav/ TV/ CD etc. and read in despair all the tales of woe and advice to skip it. However, just off the phone to Luke of www.soarer.tv fame and he is keen to have a look at converting the TV to Pal if someone can let him have their unit or vehicle for a day. His success with the Toyota Soarer TVs is well known if you check the owners website for full details. OK the Sat Nav may still be a dead duck but colour TV/ CD and radio is still not bad. Any takers???

Comment

Working...
          X