Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Leds

Hi all,

Had a few PMs looking for info on the Blue Leds mods on my 3rd gen, so here goes..

more pics at www.emptyearth.com

The aircon panel buttons are already lit by leds, so its a straightforward swap. I got my new ones (3mm) from www.lsdiodes.com by far the cheapest source I could find, speedy service too .
    To gain access, unbolt center armrest assembly and move back an inch or so. The aircon facia panel must then be prised off (first remove the slider knobs - they pull straight off), removing the panel can be fiddly, I cracked mine but its not too noticable. Once this is removed the centre dash (panel extending from top of air vents to below ashtray) surround screws can be accessed and the panel can be removed, this should just pull srtaight out. The aircon panel can now be removed (2 screws & 1 plug)

Dismantling the aircon panel is next, prise/pull off the various buttons. These buttons are not all identical, take note of the rounded and square edges for when you are refitting.
    Important Note; ensure the buttons are in the 'out' position when removing or damage to the internal latching mechanism may occur.
    At the rear remove the screw securing the plastic cover followed by the 2 or 3 screws securing the PCB.

The Leds can now be seen. Replace all using your trusty soldering iron and a solder sucker. Solder new leds in place not forgetting to ensure you have the polarity correct.

Refitting is as they say, a reversal of the above procedure.
    Last edited by Morr; 31 August 2003, 17:12.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Did you use LEDs with resistors or 12v one Maurice? I cant imagine there would be much room for resistors in the switches etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
      Did you use LEDs with resistors or 12v one Maurice? I cant imagine there would be much room for resistors in the switches etc...
      You don't need resistors for the buttons on the aircon panel or for the ECT switch as these are all LEDs already.
      I've since done most other switches, Rear window, rear mirror, Suspension & Idle up. These all required a resistor as it was a buld that I was replacing, these were trick as space is indeed at a premium.
      Next up are HRW switch and Drivers window switch, think that'll be all, altough I'm formulating ideas for a black dial kit which lits up revealing blue numerals etc using the same leds, still just thinkin about this one tho.

I've taken some pics of how I did a number of the ancillery switches and will take some of them installed when I get a chance.

I'll post the pics online if required
      Maurice

Comment

more blue lights!

while looking through my box of discarded (Hoard) of electrical components i found 2 blue interior lamps, i fitted these in the courtesy lights in the boot and middle of roof... they're really great, quite subtle.
        think they're from les smiths but thought they'd look good with your blue switches!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
          while looking through my box of discarded (Hoard) of electrical components i found 2 blue interior lamps, i fitted these in the courtesy lights in the boot and middle of roof... they're really great, quite subtle.
          think they're from les smiths but thought they'd look good with your blue switches!
          Sounds good, .....any pics?
          Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
            Sounds good, .....any pics?
            i tried but too dark for camera.... i'll give it a go when it's a bit lighter!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
            X