Spot lamps and the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot lamps and the law

Just picked up my new truck and its got a pair of spot lights attached to the nudge bar, but they aren't wired in.
    What rules and regs should I be aware of when considering getting these up and running? Would it be an easy task to have them wired into the main beam switch and is this legal? Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Kiwi

Originally posted by Kiwi
    Just picked up my new truck and its got a pair of spot lights attached to the nudge bar, but they aren't wired in.
    What rules and regs should I be aware of when considering getting these up and running? Would it be an easy task to have them wired into the main beam switch and is this legal? Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Kiwi
    has to have a switch on there and they must be a certain height and space (tells about in in haynes manual and on the box they come in) (pop in halfords and use the haynes library) don't think they're too bothered about measurements. i had an advisory on an MOT for spacing once, that's it
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Cheers

Kiwi
      Hi Kiwi,

You should also check the lamps are not more than 55W. If you want them for off road only, just fit a switch so they will isolate on road. I picked up a switched live from behind the lock barrell and used it to feed a relay.(safe way to connect to the main beam switch.).

Phil.

Comment

Cheers

Kiwi
        It is perfectly legal to just wire them into a relay wired to the main beam circuit, however for road use there must only be a maximum of 2 wired into the main beam acting as spots. There is actually no aim requirement for them as they only operate with main beam but they must be no higher than 1metre for on road use. As has been said if you want higher wattage than 55 then they can only be used off road, however then they can be positioned wherever you like, however also they must be isolated by a switch (or can be isolated by the 4 wheel drive button - I have seen this used and it is OK).

Cheers

Comment

When I got my Surf it had lamps already wired in. However they were illegal because they had dip and main beam and only operated on a switch. I rewired the main to a relay so they only came on with main beam, and use the others as driving lights/fog lights, but they have to be set not to dazzle. How it passed its MOT before I got it I dont know!

Comment

Spotties and the law..........hmmmmm it looks to be a bit different over here.

Getting a WOF ( same as an MOT ) is not as challenging as some make out.

When I go I make sure that only the lights that Toyota put on the truck work. All of the others, and believe me there are quite a few other lights on this beast, have their fuses pulled so when the snaky b@$tard checks the lights they don't go and he writes on my report form.....auxillary lights u/s..........simple really!!!

See my MODS here

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=182
            Simon.O.
            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Mine came with spot lamps pre-wired and they have a proper switch next to the rear window switch.

You can only switch them on when at least side lights are on.

I'm going to change them for 4 big ones like you see on trucks with the built in sidelight. As they have their own switch i guess it won't affect the MOT??
              '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

OK Here is the web page with the full details of all applicable regulations to all vehicle lighting for cars, bikes etc.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uks..._en_1.htm#tcon

Cheers

Comment

Hey thanks everyone. I have to admit that although this task seems pretty straight forward, I'm happy to hold up my hands and say I'm a dingus when it comes to electrics - better let some thieving sparky have a go

Kiwi

Comment

Hey thanks everyone. I have to admit that although this task seems pretty straight forward, I'm happy to hold up my hands and say I'm a dingus when it comes to electrics - better let some thieving sparky have a go

Kiwi
                    IT NOT TOO HARD MATE I DID IT HAVE A GO.
                    Enjoying Life after Cancer
                    Pops

Comment

Be careful what you say about sparkies
                      Last edited by rich; 13 November 2003, 20:22.
                      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thought that might provoke some threats - all in good humour you understand. As I said, I haven't got a clue. I'm okay with the wiring and fitting a switch, but I'm lost with relays and fuse boxes. Really don't want to melt the truck, or me!!

Kiwi

Comment

i think i,m right when i say that if you have aux lights fitted they must be working, so technically you could be breaking the law.

ship

Comment

Working...
                          X