Central interior light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central interior light

My central interior light has stopped coming on when the doors are open. The light works fine when switched to the 'ON' position (so power is there), and the front interior light operates correctly from the doors (so the siwtches work fine). Anyone think of anything obvious before I have to start ripping the headlining out?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

could it be a dodgy switch on the light itself or loose terminals or a broken wire
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

um... you have got the switch in the correct position??

e.g. 3 positions, on, off and door activated..

(just the obvious thought!!)
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The plunger switches in the door pillars may have stuck in. A squirt of WD40 methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
          My central interior light has stopped coming on when the doors are open. The light works fine when switched to the 'ON' position (so power is there), and the front interior light operates correctly from the doors (so the siwtches work fine). Anyone think of anything obvious before I have to start ripping the headlining out?
          I had this exact prob a couple of weeks ago - simply cleaned the switch contacts on the light itself - no problems since.
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanks for the replies:

Switch is definately in the 'Door' position
            The door switches seem to be working ok, as the front interior lights work as expected.

I'll give the contacts a clean, see if that fixes things up.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

I have had the same sort of problems with both my surfs - I find just banging the light or the headlining near the light temporarily sorts the problem (although probably not that advisable) - basically it seems to be the switch and/or bulb contacts in the light itself, I think they get a bit dirty/corroded over time (had the same problem with some of the door switches too).

Best to just take the light unit apart and use some emery paper to rub all the copper contacts clean.
              No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

As it's most likely the contacts, sometimes just rapidly moving the selector thru all three positions a number of times can clean up the contacts enough to get it working again.
                This method was reccomended to me on the old forum (arborwood - it seems so long ago...), worked perfectly and has worked ever since, sounds crude but its simple, and well worth a try.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Tried the bulb yet????
                  3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by Dog_Book
                    Tried the bulb yet????
                    Erm, yeah, like I said it works when switched to the 'ON' position.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                    X