X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 12v at Transfer case shifter motor

Technical forum - Electrical? Please

Vehicle: 1998 KZN185 1KZTE Surf (Gen3)
    Purchased vehicle with 4wd not working and been fault finding to get to the issue.
    4wd indicators always flashing and 4wd won't engage on the shifter button.
    Checked all fuses (Swapped the crucial 2 with others)
    Did swap the 4wd computer with another I had and no difference... have not found a relay but as others have mentioned perhaps not on my model.
    Checked Vacuums/ VSV/ solenoids and all good there, switched vacuum hoses over and it will engage 4wd manually, however when moving it has a serious clunk clunk noise! even in a straight line.
    Down to Shifter motor and there is no sounds or movement from pressing the button, so I removed the larger plate and water dribbled out plus contact plate was covered with mess that 100% would stop any connection.
    I'm now thinking that the Transfer case is jammed in 2wd and when I manually via vacuum engage the front diff this is causing the clunk clunk... is that possible?
    I can't move the Transfer case rod in or out by hand... is that normal?

So removal of the shift motor, clean and reassembly plus giving it 12v to make sure motor is working 100%. At this stage i have put back together without gears as I didn't mark them at removal and it came off with a bang as it was loaded... will need to work out the timing thing later.

My issue at the moment is there is not power at the plug for the shifter Motor, the button on gear stick is showing resistance but I don't know where it goes from there... can someone advise where it goes between button and shifter motor plug? and /or other tests I can do to locate the issue.

Thanks Brent

I found a 4WD relay part number for the KZN185 but that's about all the help I can be for now. It's in the passenger side junction box

90987-03003

Comment

Thanks Nev,

Located the possible relay on a wrecked Surf I have with the dash removed... unsure how to access without removing dash so will save that idea for another day.

Talking with a local wrecker today its sounding like the Transfer case has an issue with the actuator rod not able to be moved in or out by hand..... should be able to move it.
      Also the fact that I don't have power at shifter motor is possibly due to all factors not operational, the system needs all the switches, actuator rod, timed shifter motor, vsv's, solenoids to all talk to make the link.

Got a lead on a transfer case so will look to swap that out.

Comment

Working...
      X