KZN185 Alternator change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 Alternator change

I'm pretty sure my alternator on my 3rd Gen is on its way out. My better half reported that she had all the dash lights on including T belt etc and my side lights have started to pulse. Measuring the voltage at the batteries it's only 13.6V at 3000rpm.
    I've found a load of 2nd gen posts of how to change

Quick update:

The v-belts were a little loose so I've tightened them. However the Alt is still only kicking out 13.7V.
    I put my clamp meter over the battery cables and the batteries are being charged with 4 amps, when I switch on the electrics, lights, windscreen wipers, heated screen etc it drops to 1

Comment

Changed the alternator and the fault has gone.
      Couldn't believe how easy it was. The most difficult part was removing the electrical connector and then re-aligning the securing bolt.
      The voltage now reads 14.4 volts with the surf running and no more flashing instrument cluster lights.

Comment

I've got something similar on y, 3rd gen, it's only charging at 13-13.6 volts. I fitted two new genuine Toyota batteries last summer so I think they should be ok. How did you get the alternator past the A/C pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
          I've got something similar on y, 3rd gen, it's only charging at 13-13.6 volts. I fitted two new genuine Toyota batteries last summer so I think they should be ok. How did you get the alternator past the A/C pump?
          Remove the four A/C long pump bolts that secures it to the engine block & tie it up outta the way ... n bobs ya uncle !!

18+ Years of Surfs ...10 years on Spotless it was but expired last week....My other KZN 130 Yota is now also faultless to a "T" atmo !!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers

Comment

You're welcome Buddy

18+ Years of Surfs ...10 years on Spotless it was but expired last week....So my other KZN 130 Yota is also faultless to a "T" atmo !!

Buncefield Burner

Comment

New alternator fitted and I'm now getting a steady 13.6 volts charge as opposed to 12.4 volts. No more flat batteries!
                I managed to get it out without touching the A/C pump!

Comment

i was about to say you can get it out without touching the ac. id also give the surface that the long bolt goes through a touch with sandpaper to remove any shit so it slides back in more easily.

Comment

Working...
                  X