3rd gen tow hitch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen tow hitch wiring

undefinedHi all in muddy surf land, does anyone know which is the best or simplest side to connect up the tow bar wiring to main loom. This is on a 3rd gen. or if there is a socket in loom all tucked up nice n warm behind some sound deadening behind one of the side panels

I wish I knew as I just put an american style hitch on mine, and now I am gonna try and wire it myself... Hopefully there is a nice neat connector plug somewhere, and some great surfer is gonna tell us all about it!!!

Comment

The wiring loom runs to the left side when looking from the back of the truck. Mine is wired there and there is plenty of room behind the plastic trim etc.

Andy

Comment

wiring.

Thanks Andy, I need to install a tow bar with twin electrics on my 97 SSRG which I collected yesterday.
        Regards Colin.
        Regards Colin.

Comment

thanks andy i'm wiring up today, at least i know which side to open up

Comment

I just put on an americen style hitch. And wired the electrics myself. Didn't take to long and me thinks it looks OK...
            Last edited by usafric; 20 December 2004, 16:34.

Comment

tow hitch wiring

wiring all done and working perfectlyon 3rd gen.
              for anyone who is about too or may fit a tow bar in the future, remove plastic trim that runs from nearside to offside (left to right) on boot floor, then both side panels need to be prised back to allow access to wiring loom.slightly to the right of rear door catch is a ready made hole with rubber gromet fitted, gently prise plastic rear step away from vehicle and feed in the wire towards the left side, at base of each side trim on boot floor are two black plugs, remove the smaller one from each side & feed wire up through left side hole (a length of (welding) wire with a hook is useful to fish it out).Two wires(three if fog light is fitted to right hand side) need to be passed down through left hole and up through right hole for rightside tail & indicator lights.
              a bit of a fools guide for the novice

Comment

So...what's the best way to go about it for a 2nd gen then.... going to bite the bullet and make my own tow bar and brackets up over the xmas break...

Comment

2nd gen...

i took the wiring to directly behind the drivers side rear light by removing the rear light and feeding the wire through the rubber grommet, used scotchlocks, not ideal, but easy to do. if i had the time and energy, i would have prferred to solder and shrinkdown. also the passenger indicator was wired across to the towbar loom location (behind drivers side rear light) underneath the plastic trim on the rear edge of the rear floor.
                  [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                    So...what's the best way to go about it for a 2nd gen then.... going to bite the bullet and make my own tow bar and brackets up over the xmas break...
                    remember they have to be type approved now and have a plate on... if you get pulled by VOSA (the ministry) then you'll get a ticking off!... (might not sound likely but they set up check points outside the rubbish dump to check traillers quite often!)... sneaky !!!!ers they are too!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Isn't that only If your car is first registered on or after the 1st August 1998???so I should be able to build a wall crushing monster out of the back of my 1994 beast?!

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                        Isn't that only If your car is first registered on or after the 1st August 1998???so I should be able to build a wall crushing monster out of the back of my 1994 beast?!
                        um... could be!... hehehe!!...

yep, you're right!
                        this is from towsure website.

94/20 EC law applies to all new light passenger vehicles (NOT Commercial Vehicles) which have a European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (EWVTA) Certificate of Conformity. Within the United Kingdom all vehicles with EWVTA first registered on or after 01/08/1998 ("S" Registration) requires a type approved 94/20 EC towbar. (For other European Countries, please check with your local transport authority for date of implementation.)

sorry about that!... but valid point all the same!

Comment

or just print this and stick it on!!

Comment

Thanks - Glad you checked it out - would be just my luck to spend the weekend up to my armpits in weld splatter only to have the old bill tell me I can't use my creation!... I might just add that sticker to it anyway - for decorative purposes only of course...!

Comment

Working...
                            X