Rear tweeters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tweeters

Hi on removing the rear head panel i have found that i have no tweeters , they are i believe 2 ohms and the connector for the feed is a 4 way connector in the offside part of the panel ,does anyone know which wires are for each speaker. I know that 2 ohm speakers are rare but have seen some very small surface mounted tweeters on the maplins website that are 4 ohms as these are very small you could buy 2 packs and use a pair in parallel to make 2 ohms , two mounted in the roof area and two mounted near the rear light cluster area.I have fitted a rear cover but this cuts out the sound quite a lot from the rear speakers but the base is still audible the mounting of these tweeters would give quite a good sound , any comments .
    mark.s

Just checked the wiring diagram for the audio system and it looks like the rear roof speakers are in parallel with the rear speakers on this diagram, are the rear speakers 2 ohms as well ,as this would make the load 1 ohm .Also if the rear ones are 4 ohms the added 2 ohms would make 1.33 ohms load , does this amp really run at 1 ohm load(resistance measured at a/c load or impedance).
    mark.s

Comment

Does anyone know the impedance of the tweeters in the rear headlining ,are they 2 ohms like the rear ones as they seeem to be in parallell with the others, has anyone replaced them?

Comment

1 ohm sounds a bit scary and I doubt many amps would put up with that load at high volume for long!

Has the car had an aftermarket stereo fitted by some 'less than knowledgeable' person in the past? I can easily imagine someone paralleling up the front and rears in order to get them to all work from a stereo with only 2 speaker outputs. Nearly all off the shelf ones will have 4 outputs, and these are usually going to face a 4 ohm load. Obviously, the lower the load, the higher the current demand on the O/P stages of the amp.

If you go for a higher impedance speaker, you wont do any damage, though it wont be as 'loud' for a given volume setting.

If you want to add tweeters, go for piezo types, available from Maplin. These are a high enough impedance to present negligible extra load to the amp, and generally dont require a crossover which makes life a little less complicated. They are also pretty sensitive.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

most decent units will run 4 or 2 ohm.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Sounds like that puddycat has been after tweeter pie again LOL
            Gaz

Comment

Rear tweeters

Hi just fitted a set to the rear a-pillar almost in line where the old ones should be if they were there , they came from maplins code FR65 cost £9.99 they are only about 2" round but what a difference in sound absolutly mustard now with the original speakers ,the 4 way connector is there already and i cut old wires , used red/white for r/hand side and black/yellow? for l/hand.The whole job only took about 45 mins amazing.

Comment

Working...
              X