X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driving lights fog lights

Small question , if I buy some bog standard lights driving, or fog that
    come with 55w bulbs would there be any problem if I put 80w or 100w into
    to them.When I bought surf it had two fog lights on it (but were naff) inc wiring etc.
    The wiring goes through a Bosch fuse box which has a 30A fuse in it.
    if I get new lights will this manage the load? If so how many could I stick on there?. I bought some and had them on the front but found that 55W wasn't very bright. I put halfords so called 'really bright honest' bulbs in to the head lights but they don't seem to make much difference. I just need something really bright. I have looked @ various threads but not found the answer yet.
    cheers

I wouldn't put more than 55w bulbs in anything connected to the standard wiring as it was only designed for that load.

You can put 100w+ in your spots but you'll have to go via a relay.

See here

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ght=spotlights

Also, don't overload your alternator

See here

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ernator+rating
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Fog Lights

hi m8 ive got 4 fog lights mounted on bull bars with 100w bulbs each pair through a relay and 30amp fuse to switch all on 30amp cable may be over the top with cable but ive had no trouble good luck paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul jones
        hi m8 ive got 4 fog lights mounted on bull bars with 100w bulbs each pair through a relay and 30amp fuse to switch all on 30amp cable may be over the top with cable but ive had no trouble good luck paul

4 x 100w = 400w / 12 volts = roughly 34amps total so you have just about the right loading with 30amp cable to each pair, assuming each pair is independent right back to the battery/main distribution box. Add in 150 watts for standard headlamps and running lights and a few more amps for other bits and pieces and you are probably running the alternator at around 80% capacity or more.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Working...
        X