Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlights dimming with brakes help

Hi
    i have asked for help before and gotten some great help, so here goes.
    My newly imported surf 2.4td when my headlights are on as i stop at lights or come into park or reverse they dim!!!! Is this normal or an electrical problem, they dont go off totally just seem to go dimmer.
    any help please

sounds like an electrical problem. Duff earth somewhere? Obviously the brake lights and headlights might share something common (!).

Looks like that would be the first place to start. Alternatives may be the relayed power source for the headlights, I am working on a kit for that at the moment.

AndyL

Comment

Might be worth getting someone to press the brake pedal whilst you check the brake lights. It could be a bad earth in the rear light cluster that's causing the problem, especially if something other that the brake lights comes on when you push the brake.
      Mike G

Comment

When stationary, do the headlights go brighter as you rev the engine and dimmer as the revs drop. I had this on a car a few years ago. I thought at first it was a duff battery. It turned out to be the voltage regulator.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

A bad earth is quite often the cause of this.Check all the earth wires you can find and while the extra power is being used (lights on and brick on brake pedal) feel if any are getting hot.If so clean and maybe add an extra earth wire in same area.

Neville

Comment

Working...
          X