Radio replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Predictable Bob
    Hmmm - another master plan consigned to the pile marked CREPE !

Halfrauds have stripped the beast to fit the new unit only to discover that the PC2-17-4 isn't the right adaptor and they don't stock a suitable alternative ......

Kev, Pretty please - will your adaptor fit a 3rd Gen - if so can we do a deal ?

At least I'll save a few bob on the head unit if I don't buy from Halfrauds and they've already loosened everything up for the removal so a muppet like me should have no probs doing the fit - I hope !
    Sorry Bob - it says "most Toyota models except MR2 with active speakers (whatever THEY are) & Tercel" - and it certainly fitted my 94 model. They must have changed the connections on the later 3G ones. Apologies for wasting your time.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob
      Very strange - that sounds like the description on the PC2-17-4 pack - wonder if Mr Halfraud was just an idle sheeet and didn't want the hassle of the install ?
      probably found the thought of unbolting your existing unit a bit daunting...every other car i've ever seen has used the slot-in din fittings which just require a couple of thin levers to remove the whole lot, but the surfs seem to bolt the stereo in with four bolts into the bulkhead. Makes sure your stereo stays put when bouncing over rough ground.

I wonder if they really have stripped the beast or just found they couldn't budge the stereo with the levers and didn't try any further? It really is incredibly easy , once you get the centre console off, and thats easy too as long as you follow the instructions found elsewhere on this site, and be gentle wih the a/c faceplate - it shouldn't snap - just use a flat blade screwdriver to nudge at the top and bottom edges and it should pop out - theres a couple of little lugs on each side that hold it in place.

good luck.
      adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

If you do go for the "pocket" fitting in the 2nd DIN space, make sure it's sloped - the chap that fitted mine did a great job but the pocket thingy is too flat and everything just falls straight out !

Comment

Now you say that if I wasnt in such a rush to fit it and go to work I could have probably tried using a different face/bracket with mine as several were supplied.
          Upon take-off all objects are promtly deposited on the gearstick but I dont like to store things there much... gets in the way.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Finally got round to doing the job - the Halfrauds apprentice must have stripped the dash after all cos it was a doddle !

I also found why he was confused - the factory radio/cassette/CD unit fitted was attached to what I assume to be a separate amplifier which explains why the connector wouldn't fit. Pity the child didn't have the sense to investigate a little further - the proper connections were at the rear.
            Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Crappy Radio 2...

Hi guys

I have just bought my very 1st Surf and it has come with an Alpine MDA w750J radio\md player. Unfortunately all I can get on the radio is Radio2 and the CD player just comes up with "error" when I try to put a CD in it...

Anyone have any ideas? I am resigned to the fact that the radio is fubar'd as my MR2 was an import and was limited to R2 but the CD player?????

Grateful for any assistance until I can get a new one fitted....
              [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

hi angus you can either try a band expander or do what a lot of people do take it out and just put in a decent one i put in a jvc with a 10cd interchanger cost£140 from halfords
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                X