i need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need some help

i bought a 1990 import with a 2lt engine it was runnin fine i fitted a radio out of an mr2 and the electrics have gone haywire the alternator packed up i fitted a second hand alternator its charging but the battery light stays on both lights either side of the turbo on the clocks stay on and the top fuse in the row nearest the front of the car keeps blowing does anyone have any ideas as to wot could be the cause

Originally posted by trucker
    i bought a 1990 import with a 2lt engine it was runnin fine i fitted a radio out of an mr2 and the electrics have gone haywire the alternator packed up i fitted a second hand alternator its charging but the battery light stays on both lights either side of the turbo on the clocks stay on and the top fuse in the row nearest the front of the car keeps blowing does anyone have any ideas as to wot could be the cause
    seems logical that it could be down to the wiring off the radio, or radio itself??
    Gaz

Comment

like i did...

might be worth checking the stereo case hasnt snagged into a bit of loom.. i hate fitting stereos
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

thought of all that

no wiring has been damaged and the radio is no longer in the vehicle the alternator is definately working but the battery light still remains on along with the amber and green lights on the clock either side of the word turbo my headlights only work on full beam and wen i switch on the fog light switch they go out it feels like im being attacked by gremlins but i used the car this evening and it seems to have stabilised as in nothing new is happening, touch wood. But if anyone has any sound advice it would be much appreciated.ih one more thing the interior light blew a fuse along with the left headlamp and as i was removing the radio i touched a wire in the radio and as if by magic the interior lights came on i removed the radio replaced the two fuses and the interior lights and headlight now work but only on full beam the fuse marked engine is blown and continues to blow every time i replace it and it remains blown still even wen i drove it tonight but the alternator is charging and the battery is holding the charge i think but i will know for sure in the morning wen i try to start the vehicle .

Comment

Originally posted by trucker
          no wiring has been damaged and the radio is no longer in the vehicle the alternator is definately working but the battery light still remains on along with the amber and green lights on the clock either side of the word turbo my headlights only work on full beam and wen i switch on the fog light switch they go out it feels like im being attacked by gremlins but i used the car this evening and it seems to have stabilised as in nothing new is happening, touch wood. But if anyone has any sound advice it would be much appreciated.ih one more thing the interior light blew a fuse along with the left headlamp and as i was removing the radio i touched a wire in the radio and as if by magic the interior lights came on i removed the radio replaced the two fuses and the interior lights and headlight now work but only on full beam the fuse marked engine is blown and continues to blow every time i replace it and it remains blown still even wen i drove it tonight but the alternator is charging and the battery is holding the charge i think but i will know for sure in the morning wen i try to start the vehicle .
          hi mate , take the radio out it is poss that the radio is faulty may be causing a short somwere. once you tried that have a good look at all the earths. but with the fuse blowing all the time it does sound like a short.............
          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Don,
            First off : you may have a short to earth ( chassis ) which you may only be able to find with a Multi-meter ( question do you have one & can you use one ) If you do have one & can use it, start testing with everything switched off each circuit which is not working, to earth. starting with the Engine blown fuse.

Second : when you disconnected the radio & fuses blow you might have caused the internal wiring to over heat & short against each other, Toyota cable wiring is known for using cable right on the limlts of size.

If you not electrically minded & do not know anyone who is, you may need to go with your baby to an auto electrician. And remember the first thing he'll say is a "Import don't know anything about them " so get a copy of the KZN 130 electrical wiring diagram & take it with you, i know you have a LN 130 but most of the diagram layout is similar.

If you need more advice, e-mail me & i'll try to help
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Don,
              Did you get your electrical problem sorted ??
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X