3RZFE, Distributor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3RZFE, Distributor?

My 3RZ-FE engine has a distributor, but thats not always the case, some have coil packs.
    What's yours got? Is this a change Toyota made to later models?
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

My '96 has a distributor, my '01 has COP.

Comment

So Toyota changed it sometime after 96. A lot of the info available never mentions the distributor, always just the coil packs.

Can you confirm if this is correct Vince?

At No1 piston at TDC I should set the dizzy rotor arm to point at cylinder 1 for detonation? Just thinking about setting the timing up after assembling my poor wee engine again.
      Last edited by KERRSURF; 24 July 2012, 00:00.
      Alan

Comment

The '99 3rz-fe engine has coil packs, so the change over from distributor ignition was probably '98-ish.

Did you set No1 piston at TDC before removing the head?
        If so, and you've locked the cams, the the rotor arm will be pointing to No.1 plug wire when you re-insert the distributor anyway. There are timing marks on the cam sprockets and on the scissor gears too I think.

Do you have a timing light?

Comment

I did set to no1 TDC, locked the exhaust cam gear (no lock on the intake one) but I had to remove the dizzy to get the head skimmed (avoid any damage)
          The timing marks, 1 and 2 dots are on the back of the cam gears.
          When I refit I'll point the rotor arm at No1 and mesh the gear on the exhaust cam, that's the one that gives the variable timing for the dizzy.
          I'll turn the engine a few times by hand before starting to check for clearance.
          My mate will give me a timing light, hope to get the head back tomorrow.
          Alan

Comment

Working...
          X