Decat? Possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decat? Possible

Can I decat my 96 2.7 and still get it through an MOT, I was looking at changing the exhaust system for stainless at some point and might want to mod the downpipe.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Not too sure, but Id have thought not. Anything manufactured after AUG 1992 is supposed to have a cat as far as Im aware.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Oops, thought i'd answered this last night, forgot to press submit.

Bogus is right, you must physcially have a cat shaped bit of pipe for the MOT guy to see, but you won't pass a CAT emissions test without one either so just hollowing it out is no good either.

Most people have straight pipe they replace the cat with, and pop the CAT back in just for the MOT each year.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

AFAIK, The MOT rules changed so that if the vehicle in question was fitted with it from the factory, it has to be present at ALL times! The reason being if you are pulled over by VOSA and, your vehicle isn't fitted with the cat it can be impounded as the MOT is void and so is the insurance cover. Best to check it out first on the VOSA site. I may have got the wrong interpretation but that's the way it was put across from speaking to different MOT testers
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
          AFAIK, The MOT rules changed so that if the vehicle in question was fitted with it from the factory, it has to be present at ALL times! The reason being if you are pulled over by VOSA and, your vehicle isn't fitted with the cat it can be impounded as the MOT is void and so is the insurance cover. Best to check it out first on the VOSA site. I may have got the wrong interpretation but that's the way it was put across from speaking to different MOT testers
          They can't void your MOT, its worthless as a guide to the condition of the car the minute you leave the MOT station anyway.

It's only an statment that the car met the rules at the time of test, and not anytime after, its in the small print on the certificate.

VOSA can do you for having an illegal exhaust though, no cat on a post 92ish (or whatever it is) petrol car is illegal, and they will decide if its worth impounding or you getting 7 days to fix it, usually based on your attitude at the time.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            They can't void your MOT, its worthless as a guide to the condition of the car the minute you leave the MOT station anyway.

It's only an statment that the car met the rules at the time of test, and not anytime after, its in the small print on the certificate.

VOSA can do you for having an illegal exhaust though, no cat on a post 92ish (or whatever it is) petrol car is illegal, and they will decide if its worth impounding or you getting 7 days to fix it, usually based on your attitude at the time.

OOPS! Aye i should have remembered that
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the answers and info, probably easier to just keep the cat then.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
              X