V6 help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 help please!

My UK spec V6 4Runner has developed rough running/misfire at low revs and tickover. The problem improves higher in the rev range but overall, the engine fails to pull cleanly.

On reading the fault codes I get fault 14 and 52 showing.

I was told that fault 14 refers to lack of signal from the igniter to the ecu.
    Is the igniter the coil, amplifier, both or something else?

Fault 52 refers to the knock sensor, how easy is it to change one of these?

I'm thinking of getting my engine replaced or rebuilt. Can anyone recommend anyone/anywhere who can source a replacement engine and/or rebuild mine?
    (preferably close to Manchester)

Does the EGR mod work with V6 petrols?

Thanks in advance...

The ignitor is the box that sits on top of/near the coil.

The knock sensor is under the intake manifold, so you need to remove it. To test it, ff you get continuity between the terminal and the body it's toast!

Also check the wiring to the sensor, I've heard it can get brittle and break, or the insulation comes off and it shorts out.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by fatcat8
      My UK spec V6 4Runner has developed rough running/misfire at low revs and tickover. The problem improves higher in the rev range but overall, the engine fails to pull cleanly.

On reading the fault codes I get fault 14 and 52 showing.

I was told that fault 14 refers to lack of signal from the igniter to the ecu.
      Is the igniter the coil, amplifier, both or something else?

Fault 52 refers to the knock sensor, how easy is it to change one of these?

I'm thinking of getting my engine replaced or rebuilt. Can anyone recommend anyone/anywhere who can source a replacement engine and/or rebuild mine?
      (preferably close to Manchester)

Thanks in advance...
      STEVO is the man to see he reconditions engines for a living. i will pm his number to you
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm new to this Toyota thing so all help greatly appreciated!

I'll give Stevo a call and see what he can do, will let you know how it goes!

Comment

no problem we are all here to help as we are all good friends on here.
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

V6

Hi l dont want to sound down in the tooth because you never came and bought one of mine but you have only just bought it so take it back to where you got it or did you buy private.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Hi Bob,
              I bought it knowing that there was a misfire problem on the engine.
              When agreeing a price I took into consideration that a new engine may be needed (which compression testing has finally confirmed). Because of that I obtained the vehicle at a very keen price (even after paying for a new motor or rebuild). Once the new motor or rebuild has been done, I'll be comfortable in the fact that I know it's had the required work done.....or at least that's the plan!

Almost forgot, I read in a post somewhere that you may have some spare Surf wheels. Just wondering if you had a set of the ones with the small round holes running around them, they look similar to the modular ones you see advertised. I just don't like the standard uk spec ones I have.

Thanks, Lee
              Last edited by fatcat8; 5 July 2004, 01:24.

Comment

Thanks in advance...
                I havent heard of an EGR mod ,Can you explain what you are refering to & what are the benefit's

Also dont touch the knock sensor wire unless you must.it is very brittle.It is only a coaxil(spelling) wire like your tv antenna uses.
                93 ssr-x 3.0td , auto. (kzn130)

Comment

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve i dont think the V6 petrol engine has one. just the diesel surfs
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Maddog, check this previous post regarding the EGR:

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...&highlight=egr

Marky,
                    Yep the V6 does have an EGR, I found it disconnected on mine when I bought it.

Don't suppose you've heard from Stevo lately?
                    No one's answering the phone, so not been able to tap his wisdom!

Met up with Bob 'Hilux' a couple of nights ago who sorted me out proper with some bits I was after. Dead happy I am, top bloke Bob!

Comment

Maddog, check this previous post regarding the EGR:

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...&highlight=egr

Marky,
                      Yep the V6 does have an EGR, I found it disconnected on mine when I bought it.

Don't suppose you've heard from Stevo lately?
                      No one's answering the phone, so not been able to tap his wisdom!

Met up with Bob 'Hilux' a couple of nights ago who sorted me out proper with some bits I was after. Dead happy I am, top bloke Bob!
                      BOBS de man. Stevo should be in keep trying, if im up that way i'll tell him i know hes busy this saturday
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Thanks Marky, btw, was that his home or work phone number?

Unless he doesn't like answering calls from a mobile?!

Guess I'll try using the landline.

Comment

FatCat

You will have to let me know when ( if ) you do the EGR mod,As I am very interested to see how it effects the V6 Petrol.

Ive been thinking about repacing my egr anyway because i think its sticking a wee bit at times.I took it off to clean it but it was very black in there,& i couldnt get much of it off.
                          93 ssr-x 3.0td , auto. (kzn130)

Comment

Maddog, will do.

Just need to get my motor running tip top first.

Comment

Thanks Marky, btw, was that his home or work phone number?

Unless he doesn't like answering calls from a mobile?!

Guess I'll try using the landline.
                              his works number
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X