Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0L V6 Fluid & Steering help.

Hi,

I've got a 1993 4Runner 3.0L V6, had it for 6 months now and it's running perfectly.

I've read a few of the posts on maintenance but need a little help with how to apply the "good housekeeping" as I have never done it myself.

1.) What coolant do I use, where does it go and how do I know when it needs a top up?
    2.) 10W40 semi synth oil is used, after i've checked the oil level, how do I know how much to put in? (Just put a little and keep on checking the level?)
    3.) I need to replace the power steering pump as it has a small leak, what Power Steering fluid do I need to buy in the meantime before I can afford to replace the pump. Where does it go and how do I know what the level should be?
    4.) What other weekly checks should I be doing?

and now for a little steering help...

5.) When I lock the steering, turning right and accelerate slightly there is a noise, not a bang, more like a metal squeak, is this a massive issue to repair and will it damage anything if I do it again?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
    J
    www.furyfighters.com (Advertising & Design)

1. Use whatever is in there at the moment and, after the next service (every 5000km), flush it and replace with fresh green stuff.

It goes in the top of the radiator. There is a metal cap right at the front of the engine bay on the passenger side (on top of the radiator) and you pour it in there, slowly, until it is full. There is also an expansion tank (semi-translucent plastic bottle) between the radiator and the wing. You need to make sure that the coolant level in there is between the min and max levels. Top it up a little if it's low.

To check, you can just look at the expansion tank every week to make sure the level is where you last left it. If it's moved, if you have any doubts, if you're going on a long journey or if it's a month since you last looked, pop the radiator cap off and make sure there's coolant in there (it should be nearly up to the top and threaten to spill out).

2. Yep, just stick a bit in when it gets towards low, allow it to drip down and check it again. If you are losing any significant amount of oil, you have a leak somewhere - mine gets through very little.

3. Pass. Never had that problem.

4. Check your tyres pressures. Check under the truck for any fluid leaks once its stood for a day or so.

5. Could be related to your power steering pump, but almost certainly your bumps stops. Very easy to fix, do a search on 'bump stops'.

Comment

Hi,
      I think most things have been done by sancho but if you need more help I would probably give tonyn a call (www.4x4toys.co.uk) he sorts out all my problems either with a call or a visit.

Comment

Thanks for the help...

Could you let me know what the "Green Stuff" is and what should I buy.

Thank you.
        J

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwokki View Post
          Thanks for the help...

Could you let me know what the "Green Stuff" is and what should I buy.

Thank you.
          J
          Sorry - coolant comes in two (main) colours, red and green. If you take your radiator cap off or even look in the expansion bottle (front of the engine bay, passenger side) you should be able to see what colour is in there at the moment. If it is red, you should buy red coolant to top it up with. If it is green, top up with green.

Red is not as good as green, so if you do have red you should change to green as soon as you can by draining the red, flushing the system through and re-filling. You would need a big bottle of any pre-mixed coolant that says "ethylene glycol" on the bottle.

Comment

Oh, and before Yoshie comes and shakes his tin at you, please take a moment to look at this thread on subscribing to the forum:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1140

The forum is run voluntarily and not for profit, so if you find the advice we are able to offer helpful then please consider subscribing or making a donation.

And why not pop up to the general section some time for a chat and/or argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwokki View Post
              3.) I need to replace the power steering pump as it has a small leak, what Power Steering fluid do I need to buy in the meantime before I can afford to replace the pump. Where does it go and how do I know what the level should be?
              If you open the bonnet and look to the front/left side of the engine you should see a power steering fluid reservoir open the cap and you will see a built in oil dip stick with a couple of lines marked and the words “hot” & “cold” The fluid will be Dexron -II

If you go to this site here:
              http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads.htm
              and download the “Owners manual – glove box guide” you will find the reservoir location on page 110 and details of how to check the level on page 125.

The engine code for the 3:0 V6 is 3VZ-E so ignore anything relating to the stinky diesels.

I hope this helps.
              Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Thanks very much PDR, that is the best help i've received.

J

Comment

Mpg

Hello Jabberwokki,

Glad to see you had got the required help. Yes, I am late on the forum:-)

Would you let me know what kind of mileage you get from your V6?

I am looking at one and here that the mileage is not so good.

TheMack999

Comment

milage hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

on a serious note on petrol about 240 miles per tank (65ltr)

I think a few people claim to have hit the magic 300miles per tank

Me personally I think 270 was my record on a motorway at 70mph

Comment

The best i've done is close to 300 miles on conservative motorway driving.

Normal city driving I average 250 miles a tank.

It's not the best, but we don't buy our 3.0L V6's for fuel consumption now do we!

It's a beast, and that's the way I like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X