Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Irish Surf Owner (Almost!)

Hi Lads,
    Bought a Surf on ebay last saturday night. Must travel over next week to collect it. No money has changed hands yet until i get to have a good look over it.
    Can ye give me a few pointer for what to look out for?
    Its a 94 v6 petrol with body & suspension lift.
    heres a link to the auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160184115817

it looks spotless to me but i feel its nearly too good to be true!
    Its seems very cheap for what im getting!
    Any info is really apprichated!
    Thnaks, Bryan.

Welcome to the forum, thats a nice lookin truck, are you prepd for the fuel, cos those are 35's(tyres) and they use fuel!!! At best on your way home expect 18 mpg, avg 13 - 15 mpg. If i were you id have gone for the 3.0 diesel motor as this would be 25 mpg, and you can sling a % of veg oil to make it cheaper. But if you like the 3.0 petrol v6 roar then youll love that.

Back window needs to work on key and on cab switch. Check usual rot, knockin, unusual engine noises. But by look of it itll be a good motor for ya.
    Last edited by The Lang-Shankit Scunner; 3 December 2007, 18:26.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
      Back window needs to work on key and on cab switch.
      Thanks for the welcome!

what is the story with the back window?? does it slide down slightly when opening the back door? Ive never been in a surf before!

that is really bad fuel consumption!!
      thank god petrol is alot cheaper here in ireland!

Comment

Originally posted by bryandowney
        Thanks for the welcome!

what is the story with the back window?? does it slide down slightly when opening the back door? Ive never been in a surf before!

that is really bad fuel consumption!!
        thank god petrol is alot cheaper here in ireland!
        You have to open the back window all the way before you can open the boot. It's a pain in the arse with the shopping but is brilliant when you've been to Ikea.

Fuel consumption's pretty poor but you should get much better figures on the manual than the auto and you might be able to tease something close to performance from the engine.

Looks in excellent nick and the price isn't too good to be true, so you may have a nice one there.

The main thing on the V6s is the head gaskets. Check there's no water dribbling from the exhaust when you start it up, that the water's free of oil and the oil's free of water. Have a look around the engine bay (including the soundproofing stuff) for evidence that there's been water spraying around in there (white residue). They normally go at about 70,000 miles so, unless they've been changed, expect a bill in 20,000 miles time.

Comment

thanks for the info lads!

where are the usual rust/rot spots on the surf's?

Comment

I get 15-16 mpg from my SSR-G V6 auto. You should get a few mpg extra with a manual gearbox although this site lists the auto @ 15.6 mpg and the manual @ 13.5 mpg. (look under 2nd gen VZN130)
            http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_general.htm#specs

One of the head gaskets went on mine last year so had them replaced. I’m generally very pleased with my truck… it has been reliable and great to drive. The V6 is the quickest of all the Surfs and can easily beat the likes of Mitsubishi Warriors from the lights…. Though of course those large tyres are going to reduce your acceleration a bit.

2nd gen V6 petrol models generally go for around the £2000 mark, so I would say the price is on the high side but you do have to factor in the low mileage and mods into the price.

It sates in the add that it has “Hard and Soft Suspension Settings at a flick of a switch” well seeing as this Surf has been lifted it will have to have had longer “aftermarket shocks” fitted which will not work with the standard hard/soft option.

My Surf was imported in 2005 and it is rust free and this is typical of imports. Look after it and it should last well.

I have never owned a diesel motor, but apparently there are lots of noisy & smelly diesel surfs about….. one thing I do know is that they don’t sound as nice as the V6 petrol engine
            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

dont know if ill be able to afford to run this hilux after tonights budget!
              They are increasing the Registration Tax on all motors over 2lt and road tax is also going to be increased! Its ment to be a Green Budget!

http://www.ireland.com/focus/budget2...nts/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                I get 15-16 mpg from my SSR-G V6 auto. You should get a few mpg extra with a manual gearbox although this site lists the auto @ 15.6 mpg and the manual @ 13.5 mpg. (look under 2nd gen VZN130)
                http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_general.htm#specs
                Those figures are litres/100km. They equate to 21mpg for the manual and 18mpg for the auto. Sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                  Those figures are litres/100km. They equate to 21mpg for the manual and 18mpg for the auto. Sounds about right.
                  Oooops, of course you are right Sancho.

Comment

Originally posted by bryandowney
                    dont know if ill be able to afford to run this hilux after tonights budget!
                    They are increasing the Registration Tax on all motors over 2lt and road tax is also going to be increased! Its ment to be a Green Budget!

http://www.ireland.com/focus/budget2...nts/index.html
                    Does this budget affect older vehicles in Ireland? I know that we as owners of 2nd gen Surfs still only pay the older lower rate of road tax.

Comment

wot part of ireland ar ya in?
                      He who dies wit the most toys WINS!

Comment

Im down in cork!

Yea, you would be paying the same tax as a new 3lt. also have to pay VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) because its being imported!

Comment

Working...
                        X