Wet Engine Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Engine Problems

Hi guys, recently got my V6 petral a little wet fording a river. Plugs got wet and it missed and stoped. Quickley it dried off and started, missed a bit then went OK for 150kms, then suddenly died. ECU not illuminating the engine (orange) status light when Ignition turned on, but bulb ok when jumped. All 3 power wires into ECU powered. All earth wires out earthed well. Power to the Coil and Injecters but ECU not earthing to pulse injecters or give spark. Towed vehicle to Toyota workshop in Richmond NZ and they inserted a second-hand ECU that does exactly the same thing! They cant figure it out and will probably have to talk to Toyota in Japan! They think it might not be conneced to getting it wet, but?....Has anyone run into anything like this? If they figure it I will post the answer as it might help the next submarine captain. Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Neal; 9 October 2007, 11:04. Reason: Spelling

Originally posted by Kevin Neal
    Hi guys, recently got my V6 petral a little wet fording a river. Plugs got wet and it missed and stoped. Quickley it dried off and started, missed a bit then went OK for 150kms, then suddenly died. ECU not illuminating the engine (orange) status light when Ignition turned on, but bulb ok when jumped. All 3 power wires into ECU powered. All earth wires out earthed well. Power to the Coil and Injecters but ECU not earthing to pulse injecters or give spark. Towed vehicle to Toyota workshop in Richmond NZ and they inserted a second-hand ECU that does exactly the same thing! They cant figure it out and will probably have to talk to Toyota in Japan! They think it might not be conneced to getting it wet, but?....Has anyone run into anything like this? If they figure it I will post the answer as it might help the next submarine captain. Kevin

It's most likely the alternator, they don't like getting wet.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      It's most likely the alternator, they don't like getting wet.
      Dont thihk that would do it Vince as it should not stop it from starting only give erratic dash lights once started.
      More likely a corroded connector somewhere , in my opinion.
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Take the lid off the AFM and check the wiper arm is moving OK and everthing is clean.

But the ECU thing is a worry, see if you have a seperate ECD fuse and relay to check, on the deisel Surfs run the diagnosics seperately from the Main ECU wiring
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for your help Guys

Yep could be either of those I reckon. The confusing thing here is that why will the ECU not run the engine light when ignition is turned on. Maybe there is some sort of short in the AFM? Hopefully the boys at the workshop will sort it out today as they have had it for a week now. About that Alternator getting wet, yes, it did show lots flashing lights but settled down once dry.
          I will let you know (this is a new experiance, getting help from the other side of the world while I sleep!)
          Kevin

Comment

Hey Guys, Heres the update.
            TonyN got me thinking about the Air Flow Meter and so I talked to the Guys at the garage. According to the wiring diagram they have, it would seem that the AFM should not be able to stop the ECU giving out its signals, even if shorted out somehow, but after disconnecting the plug to the AFM the Engine status light came straight on! And it started too!(didnt run too well however!)
            I unscrewed the female side of the plug and it came away from the main body very easily (perhaps I was excited and did not realise my strength, but I dont think so) and once the top was removed you could see that the solder had come away from the contacts and there was not much connected to anything at all.
            I think some piece of loose solder must have crossed wires and imobilised the ECU somehow.
            One of the mechanics suggested that if the engine had given a really good backfire (I never heard this happen) it could have slammed the flow door shut and jolted the housing knocking the solder around. If so ...it must have been a bodgy soldering job in the first place.
            I have mechanical insurance so hopefully I can claim this as I reckon it should not have done it if the wires where fixed correctly. So there you go...Hopefully a second hand AFM and I will be good to go.
            Kevin

Comment

Yes , it is not uncommon for a backfire to fubar a AFM . Seen a couple like that.
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I agree, I even carry a spare AFM with me now as the LPG used to backfire and caused a few problems.

Comment

i had a mondeo st 24 2.5v6,i jet washed the engine.doh........lol and the maf,or afm whichever u prefer gave me 2 out of 6 cylinders lol,put mine in airing cupoard for 3 days then it worked lololol

Comment

Working...
                  X