No announcement yet.

LPG conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don’t say how many miles you drive each year? 2K buys you a lot of petrol.

I guess mine would be a good candidate for LPG. It was imported in 2005, the bodywork is superb for a 1994 Surf, engine (replacement) has only done about 56K and the head gaskets where done last month……

BUT

It would take me the best part of 2 years to recoup the £2,000 purchase/fitting costs of an LPG system……… and who knows what is around the next corner? If it was stolen, or totalled in an accident I doubt the insurance would give me the added cost of an LPG system.

Oh and I fitted a DIY system (£350) to my old Land rover a few years back….
    It was never really very good.
    Last edited by PDR; 27 March 2007, 13:28.
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Only Done 56k

Hi "FUNNY" when l sold it, it had done around 91,000miles.????
      Live Life To The Full

Comment

Hi Rusty,
        I have the K&N kit and have had it for about 2 years now, I have seen no difference in fuel economy (and I am not heavy footed all the time) I think it really only made a little gain as you say in the mid range (thats also where the noise comes in).
        The noise issue is either a love it or hate it thing, I personally recon most of the time all the pipework is just there to remove the engine noise so its a trade off between noise and a little performance.
        If I was to do it all over again I think I would still do it as I like the noise!!!
        But if you dont like a noisy car then I would not recormend ever using an induction kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
          Hi "FUNNY" when l sold it, it had done around 91,000miles.????
          Hi Bob,
          (I think you may have mis-read my post)

As I understand it, you fitted a replacement engine at around 144,000 kilometres. From what I remember you telling me, the replacement engine had done “about 50,000” (not sure if you said this was miles or kms).

It was then sold to someone from Liverpool who then traded it in at a garage local to me from where I bought it. I contacted the guy you sold it to…. Who informed me that he only kept in for a few months…. “it was a lovely vehicle, but the fuel consumption was ridiculous” and that was his reason for selling it.

I bought it last October with 147,823 km on the clock. It now shows 153,000 kms.
          If my calculations are correct, the engine has done approximately 9,000 kms since you fitted it. 9000 kms = 5,592 miles.

So the Surf has done 153,000 km or 95.072 miles, whereas the engine has done approximately 56,000 miles (or is that km).

Anyhow, the Surf is running fine now (after having the head gaskets done) and I’m pleased with it.

Cheers Paul
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Hi your right l did miss read it.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

[QUOTE=PDR]You don’t say how many miles you drive each year? 2K buys you a lot of petrol.

IBUT

and who knows what is around the next corner? If it was stolen, or totalled in an accident I doubt the insurance would give me the added cost of an LPG system.

Right you are....insurance company just ignore it.....value 2 lollipops and a postage stamp
              ------------------------------------
              Look out! Ee

Comment

[quote=Scuddy]
                Originally posted by PDR

Right you are....insurance company just ignore it.....value 2 lollipops and a postage stamp
                Wrong . I have settled several claims with LPG fitted . An engineer should find out when the system was fitted and wot type and then calculate a fair cost of usage the system has had so a fair cost can be placed on the system .
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

[QUOTE=Vagrant No2]
                  Originally posted by Scuddy
                  Wrong . I have settled several claims with LPG fitted . An engineer should find out when the system was fitted and wot type and then calculate a fair cost of usage the system has had so a fair cost can be placed on the system .
                  Wrong?? Try telling that to the engineer who I haggled with over the LPG system on mine having been through a write off claim...ignored as stated. Value increase - zip, in fact he even tried to argue it devalued the vehicle! Mine system was 1 year old installed by a recognised LPG installer with 15k miles on it. At the end of the day no pay out for LPG value
                  ------------------------------------
                  Look out! Ee

Comment

Originally posted by IIIrd
                    these guys did my cherokee,
                    very tidy job.
                    beware the old guy, he's a bit of a salesman and i think would try and bullsh1t his way out of a problem, but i have to say i was happy with their work.
                    i paid £2400, incl non standard tank. they normally operate on beahlf of the green fuel co.

the was a prinz multi point system, dutch. can take up to 8 cylinders

they do aircon as well
                    Got my 4lt Cherokee done for £1500 all in. 60 ltr tank in the boot.. good job well done!
                    -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

V6 LPG Conv

£1800 is a bit dear to be honest i would normally expect to pay 1200 max for a six cyl full kit fitted.

Im just about to upgrade my V6 surf to a full sequential kit as soon as i have finished a Lexus and Mondeo ST220.

If you would like some help convering your i would be happy to assist.

Andy

Comment

sacked my diesel surf for a V6 lpg

For the last few months i have had a 2.4td surf as my daily runner, i got her from ebay as non runner with a blown head gasket. After stripping it down i found the head to be cracked.

Was lucky enough to get a brand new Toyota head on ebay for 99 quid and a few days later she was a runner, but it just lacks grunt if that the right word for it. It perpousful dont get me wrong but i just find it boring so i taken the plunge and picked up a 30 V6 SRX G which i must say is alot better.

This one is in good condition and just reqiures some plugs, leads and cap/rota to get running in good order.

Its got an old school LPG kit on it which works ok and i plan to upgrade this to a sequential kit later this month.

I fit Lpg kits for a living and have done loads now.

I have some bright plans for this Surf so i thought i would share my progress with you.

At the moment i would love to hear from anyone who has had engine trouble with the V6 as this one is a little rattley from the top end.

As ive only had it for two days i havnt had a chance to strip it down but i will be ringing rough trax tomorrow for a manual and some other bits.

The rattle could be tappet shims??? if this engine is like the 2.4td or worn valve seats... ahaha i hear you say, the lpg has buggered the seats, well as an intreagued lpg fitter i plan to find out and let you know first hand.

Any tips about the heads on these V6s or where i can get a good workshop cd/manual from for the VZN 130 3.0 V6 would be helpful.

Also i can bulk buy sequential lpg kits and bring to cost right down. If anyone would like to convert their V6 surf at the same time as i do mine and pay a lot less that 1500 feel free to contact me on 07731618466

Buy for now

Andy

Comment

Hi Diablo Turbo,
                          and welcome to the mad house
                          Do a search on the forum and you should be able to find a link to somewhere on the net where you can download the entire toyota workshope manual, that or i think someone sells them either on here or on ebay for about 10 quid.
                          Another good place to look for a manual is pdftown check out
                          http://pdftown.com/1990-1995-Toyota-...ce-Manual.html

Most people recon the heads do go at some point. where as the uk forum is the best place in the world for surf's but their is also a US forum (yotatech) and an Ozzy forum (cant remember the name I am sure someone else will) which have many more v6 members.

Cheers
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo Turbo View Post
                            For the last few months i have had a 2.4td surf as my daily runner, i got her from ebay as non runner with a blown head gasket. After stripping it down i found the head to be cracked.

Was lucky enough to get a brand new Toyota head on ebay for 99 quid and a few days later she was a runner, but it just lacks grunt if that the right word for it. It perpousful dont get me wrong but i just find it boring so i taken the plunge and picked up a 30 V6 SRX G which i must say is alot better.

This one is in good condition and just reqiures some plugs, leads and cap/rota to get running in good order.

Its got an old school LPG kit on it which works ok and i plan to upgrade this to a sequential kit later this month.

I fit Lpg kits for a living and have done loads now.

I have some bright plans for this Surf so i thought i would share my progress with you.

At the moment i would love to hear from anyone who has had engine trouble with the V6 as this one is a little rattley from the top end.

As ive only had it for two days i havnt had a chance to strip it down but i will be ringing rough trax tomorrow for a manual and some other bits.

The rattle could be tappet shims??? if this engine is like the 2.4td or worn valve seats... ahaha i hear you say, the lpg has buggered the seats, well as an intreagued lpg fitter i plan to find out and let you know first hand.

Any tips about the heads on these V6s or where i can get a good workshop cd/manual from for the VZN 130 3.0 V6 would be helpful.

Also i can bulk buy sequential lpg kits and bring to cost right down. If anyone would like to convert their V6 surf at the same time as i do mine and pay a lot less that 1500 feel free to contact me on 07731618466

Buy for now

Andy
                            u got any experience of lpg for diesel?

Comment

No sorry, lpg and diesel isnt something i had planned to get into and as a matter of fact i havnt even seen one.

I have heard though that you can not run a diesel engine fully on lpg.

It runs both at the same time 70/30

By using lpg with diesel im led to belive there is an emmisions advantage and a small cost saving, however extencive work is required to the heads to get it to work which sounds a load of hasstle to me, so i didnt bother.

Ive also been told the conversion is irriversable.

Hope this helps.

Comment

There is a chap in Bolton, (F1 Automotive) whos has done some good things with LPG, he works strictly with 'Prins petrol conversions', last time i spoke to him a few months back, he was making break-throughs with LPG'ing dirty diesles, might be worth giving him a ring for a heads up, hes very helpfu, though i forget his name.

Could people kindly post the mpg they get on lpg, as i'm getting +- 150 miles to 60 litres of gas, seems low to me, thats like 11 odd MPG.
                                If you pretend it goes fast... it will!!

Comment

Working...
                                X