Poor start up warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor start up warm

Hi, my 1993 4runner V6 is struggling to start if it's left alone for a while when the engine is hot. Once it's going it stalls if the throttle is released, and this continues for a few minutes until it eventually cheers up a bit.

The net result is that if you drive 15miles, then park and wander into town, when you get back you won't be able to reverse out of a parking space without having to restart...

Anyone have any good ideas? If it's vacuum hoses then which ones? Should I change them all?

Pete

Hi Pete, is your air filter in good condition? or try the hot starting problem with it removed.
    Also, there could be air in the fuel system, defective pump, or the pump timing is 'out'.

Comment

I took the air filter out a while back and removed a few bees and things but it looked generally clean. Perhaps this would be a good starting point... How would I best remove trapped air from the fuel lines?

Cheers, Pete

Comment

You need to loosen, but not remove, the pipes that connect to the injectors, then get someone to crank the engine whilst you look at the pipes for fuel to flow out. Stop cranking engine, then tighten pipes quickly.
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 9 August 2005, 17:01.

Comment

Could also be the Cat getting blocked up, or could be a leaking injector.

If it needs a service, do this first and then start looking for problems.

Sounds like vapour lock on old carb'ed engines, but a EFI petrol engine shouldn't suffer.

Don't crank it for to long without it starting, unburnt petrol will also kill the Cat.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks,

It tends to fire up normally but stall right away if you can imagine that, so as soon as the key is released it dies. It can then be started by opening the throttle a bit and trying again.

Until it's run for a minute or two you must keep the throttle depressed a little to keep the engine running.

Perhaps I will start with new filter, oil and plugs and work from there.

Once it's going again it will drive normally.

Pete

Comment

My wife's Polo has a similar problem. That's got single point injection. So far as I can tell (haven't got round to stripping it yet) it seems like dirt has got into the system somewhere (need to change the fuel filter). It seems to sort itself for a bit with a dose of Redex injector cleaner in the tank.
              Mike G

Comment

my v6 got same problem ;(

Comment

Working...
                X