Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexurf X Update 3

Front seats:-
    I took these Lexus IS200 front seats to Vince( special visit ) ( he said he would fit them ) I said just connect the electric for the movement and don’t bother with the heating.
    See pics – Only 3 bolts fitted to each seat ( 3 holes line up and one bracket needs to modified to line up with original hole – not done )
    http://s743.photobucket.com/user/Per.../front%20seats

Exhaust:-
    http://s743.photobucket.com/user/Per...ibrary/Exhaust
    I only bought stainless as Vince said he now had Tig. Bought length of pipe, short Flexi’s (not ones over rear axle ) , middle box, 2 rear boxes and 2 tail pipes. £370 – all pretty much ruined now.
    As said before truck has not covered 500 miles since build – welds and joints blowing.
    It has been painted in places – stainless, so why?
    Some welds are rusting – why hasn’t stainless wire been used?
    He has agreed to pay for the exhaust to be re-done, but not for the paint work of the wings, scuttle etc!
    Bumper cut-outs for exhaust rough and un-treated after cutting.
    Exhaust manifold stud & nut missing from one side and a stud nut missing from other side ( Vince sent these in post to me after I brought it to his attention )

I'm probably mistaken mate but those mufflers look like they are cromed to me and not stainless, I'm just asking are you sure they are stainless, because i made my money welding underwater in the gulf of mexico and n sea and only time i have seen weld go like that is when the base metal has a coating and had to be grinded to get to the metal underneath to weld it, i think if he had used anything but Stailess or what we call dissimilar filler rod then it would have welded like a seagull had crapped on it.. if they are stainless mufflers then there is def some sort of contamination in the SS they were made from..as for the rest of the problems i have zero idea, i tried to fir LS 400 seats in mine but i would be driving with my head out of the roof so im keeping them for me transit van . hope it all worked out for you mate..
    No king of England is not king of France

Comment

Stainless, TIG welded with mild steel rods will result in rusting welds.
      Brian

Comment

Ok so you think that mild steel filler rod has been used , that would make it rust but the weld would look a lot bird crap like , anyway i hope you got it all sorted mate..
        you know what it's sad the way lots of folk on here (this forum/site whatever)seem to have this need to try to b-little others, i have seen it over time on here , I'm not a big Hilux Surf fan even though I own one (infact the Citroen 2CV i once owned was a far more enjoyable car to drive and better off road )and it's weird that a lot of people ,not the ones with just complaints, simply have zero idea as to why they are bitching and I DO NOT MEAN EITHER OF YOU so don't take it like that, but so many times stupid squabbles break out on here. "for this to me is like another fall of man". Why don't we all just buy old ford cossies and enjoy our road use, ha ha ha.
        Last edited by 3 LIONS; 28 April 2015, 07:28.

Comment

Depending on the grade of Stainless you can still get surface discolouration/oxidisation..

My system is fully stainless.. it was even polished so it was super shiny...

The bits under the truck, especially the angle parts (different supplier) now look brown.. they won't bubble or perforate, and it'll still outlast the truck, but stainless doesn't always mean blemish free, forever.

That said it took about a year and a few thousand miles to get the discolouration.
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 LIONS View Post
            Ok so you think that mild steel filler rod has been used , that would make it rust but the weld would look a lot bird crap like , anyway i hope you got it all sorted mate..
            you know what it's sad the way lots of folk on here (this forum/site whatever)seem to have this need to try to b-little others, i have seen it over time on here , I'm not a big Hilux Surf fan even though I own one (infact the Citroen 2CV i once owned was a far more enjoyable car to drive and better off road )and it's weird that a lot of people ,not the ones with just complaints, simply have zero idea as to why they are bitching and I DO NOT MEAN EITHER OF YOU so don't take it like that, but so many times stupid squabbles break out on here. "for this to me is like another fall of man". Why don't we all just buy old ford cossies and enjoy our road use, ha ha ha.
            I was not passing judgment, I was pointing out a very possible cause. I also totally disagree that mild filler rod causes horrible welds, bird droppings on stainless. I avoid the " and here is my experience " comment but it appears necessary. I welded stainless 6 days a week for 7 straight years, with mild and stainless filler Dependant on final application.
            Brian

Comment

If that join has been tig welded then whoever did it has never tig welded in their life. I have been a welder fabricator since leaving school in 1988 & have never seen anything like that lol. And have to agree with yoshie that you can quite easily weld s/s with m/s filler wire. Pain in the ass when you do it by mistake & have to grind it all out.
              Anyway............the exhaust is ####ed.

Below is s/s tig welding on a decat pipe i used to make for skylines. Whilst the welding wont win any prizes (i knocked them out as quick as i could in my lunch hour) the difference is clear to see.

Last edited by nismo33; 28 April 2015, 19:00.

Comment

on TIG it's poss to do it with mild steel yea , i have done it myself , and it rusts as fast as but you will find that if you use rods as in MMA welding it spits and farts and makes for a trash weld, thats a nice job on that skyline box mate, you should see some of the N.Sea welding, i've NDT'd some that have had files rammed in to fill the gap between the joint and then washed over with a cover pass, you got to laff realy...My TIGing isn't what it was as i find it hard to focus on the puddle due to heavy use on my eyes over the years, end of the day it's an exhaust,and exhausts get all the salt and road grit thrown at them not to mention the corosives in the fumes, my exhaust is a right botch job but it don't leak and isn't stainless and sounds like a Chevelle (a propper car), i couldn't care less what it looks like as i don't usualy drive while looking under the vehicle at the same time as it draws attention from old bill...

Comment

Working...
                X