2.4L-TE to ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4L-TE to ?

I am interested in doing an engine swap, I have a LN-130 93 surf, and am looking for any advice for the best engine to put in it. No V8's, just better options that wont cost the amount of a new 4wd if anyone is happy to share

Budget?
    Pirate4x4 have listed some conversions
    Mainly with manual gearbox.
    Oil burner or petrol?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

engine

I would prefer the cheaper the better, not the cheapest but I don't want to speed lots and lots, I'm thinking between 3000-4000 for the engine

Comment

research

Doing a bit of research, putting in a 1UZ-FE engine actually seems like the best choice, like I wasn't big on V8, but the 5L seems like it wont give me too much more power anyway.

Comment

Cheapest engine upgrade for LN130 is to put an extra couple of gerbils in the wheel lol
          Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by amkukolja View Post
            Doing a bit of research, putting in a 1UZ-FE engine actually seems like the best choice, like I wasn't big on V8, but the 5L seems like it wont give me too much more power anyway.
            yup
            plenty of info and pictures and guides on "how to" available on here and on the Aus site.
            All the issues have already been dealt with so you should have no major surprises.......
            probably the easiest route aswell
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

cheapest, easiest upgrade would be 3l or 5l engine.
              5le and keep the existing ecu setup. 3l/5l mech IP conversion.
              keep 2le turbo gear, add intercooler and fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
                cheapest, easiest upgrade would be 3l or 5l engine.
                5le and keep the existing ecu setup. 3l/5l mech IP conversion.
                keep 2le turbo gear, add intercooler and fuel.
                The OP had already discussed the relative lack of power increase using the 5l engine.
                However I wonder how much of a power and torque rise would be had with a turbo and I/C?
                ?
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

end of the day its a case of how much does he want to spend vers power.

L series are easy cheap conversion. 5l with turbo setup and decent tuning can do more than a stock 1kz and i suspect could match a chipped 1KZ.

to go for more power again your looking at a fine tuned turbo and fueling. but costs start to go up.

after that its a big jump into either common rail diesels or petrols. its going to cost a lot more to install but you will get more power out of it.

if no to v8's then theres supercharged v6's or even turbo straight 6. but 1UZ-FE might be easier because its fairly common.

Comment

If you have 3 to 4 grand can't you just buy a 3 litre diesel version and then fit a top mount intercooler and maybe a better exhaust for a bit more power? or even a newer gen 3 surf?

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
                      end of the day its a case of how much does he want to spend vers power.

L series are easy cheap conversion. 5l with turbo setup and decent tuning can do more than a stock 1kz and i suspect could match a chipped 1KZ.

to go for more power again your looking at a fine tuned turbo and fueling. but costs start to go up.

after that its a big jump into either common rail diesels or petrols. its going to cost a lot more to install but you will get more power out of it.

if no to v8's then theres supercharged v6's or even turbo straight 6. but 1UZ-FE might be easier because its fairly common.
                      I personally like tuned diesels and the 5l with a turbo and I/C would be near the top of the list but like you say the 1uzfe is probably the "easiest" route and I love the sound of torquey V8's

Originally posted by popuptoaster View Post
                      If you have 3 to 4 grand can't you just buy a 3 litre diesel version and then fit a top mount intercooler and maybe a better exhaust for a bit more power? or even a newer gen 3 surf?
                      I think the OP is posting from Aus where the market is very different from here, plus he may have already sorted his rig with decent tyres and suspension and the like but wants more power.
                      But you make a valid point.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                      X