yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removed engine preservation/maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed engine preservation/maintenance?

My threads will come thick and fast as I ponder this conversion (I will start a build thread when it arrives).

But as I will have the 1UZ-FE removed and in the garage, for a long time, while I clean it and save for each stage...is there any special preservation/maintenance things I need to be aware of?

It's conceivable it will be 6 months+ before it runs again.

Welcome to my ignorance

Thanks for your time

Stick the engine block on something that you can turn around and move about, an old plastic dolly "borrowed" from a supermarket, perhaps,
    Some tie down straps to secure it, might be worth considering.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

A little oil in the bores, don't want it seizing in the damp winter air. Might be worth an oil change before you pull it out, oil gets a little acidic when it's old, assuming it's not synthetic anyway.

Comment

It'll be on an engine stand, shokenore

My question is regarding maintenance. It won't be running so no oil running through it on a regular bases. Nothing in the water system that may or may not cause parts to rust.

Although being alu...I know internal rust won't be an issue.

I may be worried about nothing. It may sit for an age without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
          A little oil in the bores, don't want it seizing in the damp winter air. Might be worth an oil change before you pull it out, oil gets a little acidic when it's old, assuming it's not synthetic anyway.

I was thinking this exact thing. Do an oil change before removing.

Comment

Block any holes of course, keep the dust and mice out.

Ally does corrode, but slowly (the oxide is very tough)...should be ok, the water pump is going to be steel bearings though...

Is it auto?

Comment

It'll be coming out of an auto (they all are) but it'll be going into a manual (via an expensive kit to mate the R151F to the engine).

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post

My question is regarding maintenance. It won't be running so no oil running through it on a regular bases. Nothing in the water system that may or may not cause parts to rust.

Didn't realise you was gonna be all posh and use an engine stand....

Like Andy has said Oil down the bores.
                Tape up the inlet and exhausts.
                Stick it in a big bag to keep out the damp, perhaps stick in some desiccant.

Crank it over every month or so.

Don' forget the pictures.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                  Stick it in a big bag to keep out the damp, perhaps stick in some desiccant.
                  Good thought...
                  http://www.amazon.com/Hydrosorbent-S...m/B000N5QECU/2

Comment

Top job, lads

You're pointing out some of the stuff I had thought about using logic. Covering it, bunging up inlets etc.

Desiccant a good idea. Cheap as chips and can't hurt. I have a bunch of big bags of it too.

I may (May) keep it in the car over the bad months and tick it over every day. Is this a better option?

Saying that...I'll need to break the car to counter the deficit...so it may not be possible. Bad months can last until April!

Comment

weekly would do...run it till hot if you do...otherwise the extra cold start fuel will just wash oil off the bores

Comment

Run until hot...another good point

That wouldn't have crossed my mind

Just got myself some knowledge

Comment

probably best to leave it in the car as long as you can, run it up
                          to temp every couple of weeks or so. If they are left without running
                          for any length of time the injectors have a tendency to stick.

Or better still don't buy one until you actually need it.
                          Still on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post

The bores have steel liners.
                            Anti-freeze can go 'fluffy' in the alloy coolant parts and block coolant flow.

Comment

I knew starting this thread was a good idea!

Not buying it until I need it is the logical step. But if I don't I'll never do it. Plus breaking the rest of the motor is part of the first step.

I'll keep it in the car as long as possible and break, what I can, around it. It's a bit of a ####### doing this through the winter, and not ideal...but it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X