LS400 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS400 questions

Had a fun day removing the axle and fuel tank I was initially just going to fit new bushes, do a few chassis repairs and weld up the rear arches before getting it back on the road.

I'm now thinking of taking my time to do a proper rebuild, getting an LS400 to use while the Surf is off the road, then swapping the 1UZ-FE in.

Am I right in thinking that any LS400 up to and including the 1997 model year is non-VVTi? Anything in particular to look out for in a donor LS, mileage etc?

Thanks!

Dan
    https://galooph.com

Get one with as much history and as low a mileage as you can and preferably without an immobiliser (they are a pain in the hoop to transplant).

I think there's a Lexurf coming up for sale soon...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Picked this up today -

It's going to be my daily drive for a while as I want to get the Surf's chassis cleaned up and painted. Having to work outside and having a dodgy back slows me down a bit, but it'll give me chance to research the swap and shakedown the engine a bit

I'm already catching up on lextreme.com and uzswap.com, lots of great info!

Dan

Comment

We will be building these about the same time. Best of luck.

Lexus looks good.
        Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

Looks good mate how many miles ?
          ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

Comment

Originally posted by M8WHR View Post
            We will be building these about the same time. Best of luck.
            Originally posted by zem_41 View Post
            Looks good mate how many miles ?
            Thanks guys

It's done 148k miles, but it's got a full service history. Came with a new MoT with no advisories too, so I'm happy.

Starting to look into which exhaust headers to use. I've got a Rough Country 4-5" suspension lift and I'd like to avoid having to add a body lift as well!

Dan

Comment

Soarer 'log' headers (with the flanges cut off and two bolt ones welded on) will give more clearance. I don't think any other 'off the shelf' ones fit without modifications.

Comment

No body lift needs more than narrower headers.

Comment

Would there not be lack of clearance for the gearbox?
                  Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Soarer 'log' headers (with the flanges cut off and two bolt ones welded on) will give more clearance. I don't think any other 'off the shelf' ones fit without modifications.
                    From what I've read, I think these headers might be an option. Still tight though, I'm sure!

I don't mind adding a body lift, but want to keep it at a minimum. I guess the other alternative is to go the whole hog and swap to an SAS like animal did

Dan

Comment

I can't comment on those headers. Remember, they may be built to clear things on a LHD vehicle, not a RHD one.

Comment

I have a pair of those Tundra headers here ready for number XI.

At first inspection, the collector flanges will definitely need cutting off, as they are angled towards the bulkhead, and a section of tube welding in to extend them down past the torsion bar's brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by galooph View Post
                          From what I've read, I think these headers might be an option. Still tight though, I'm sure!

I don't mind adding a body lift, but want to keep it at a minimum. I guess the other alternative is to go the whole hog and swap to an SAS like animal did

Dan
                          They certainly are nowhere near fitting 3rd gen...

I have a set spare if you want to try, - the flanges have been cut off though....
                          More Lift.
                          More Tyres.
                          More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                            I have a set spare if you want to try, - the flanges have been cut off though....
                            I might just take you up on that, Karma!

There's a chap on yotatech who managed ok with Tundra headers - just needed to rotate the flanges a bit, see http://www.yotatech.com/f161/1uz-fe-...l#post51199084

Bushwhacker playing with the Tundra headers as well is a good sign

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by galooph View Post
                              There's a chap on yotatech who managed ok with Tundra headers - just needed to rotate the flanges a bit,
                              Yep, but like I said; made to clear stuff on the wrong side...

They are quite pretty though

Comment

Working...
                              X