1997 lexus donor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 lexus donor

Hi all, simple question for Bushwhacker, i plan on transferring all the wiring from lexus to my Surf, i mean everything, all surf wiring out and lexus wiring in with engine gearbox and complete dash board made to fit. Am i right when i say there shouldnt be any security device issues doing it this way, the tricky bit is just making it all fit. Cheers to all you guys who have done this and share your knowledge with us lesser knowledgable DIY ers.

A wee bit more info

1992 Surf, originally 2.4td auto, now for last year running it with a 3.0 1kz engine and manual box from a UK 4runner but engine is whining from fuel pump area, could be some sort of bearing in engine somewhere, rear crank seal leaking oil onto clutch, engine mounts and gearbox mounts knackered so causing vibrations, no coolant leaks and not burning oil so still using it every day but now after reading all the posts about going V8 ive got the bug. Surf has for last 3 years had 4ins suspension lift and 6ins body lift, all welded and then galvanized, running on 35x14.5-15ins TSL Thornbird tyres. Thinking of positioning body 2ins further back on chassis for engine clearance. What do you guys think?

Comment

Pics

How do i post pics of my Surf on my profile as well?

Comment

Originally posted by snowplower View Post
        Hi all, simple question for Bushwhacker, i plan on transferring all the wiring from lexus to my Surf, i mean everything, all surf wiring out and lexus wiring in with engine gearbox and complete dash board made to fit.
        Big waste of time doing it that way!
        The engine/transmission has it's own wiring harness that is seperate from everything else.
        If you want to incorporate the Lexus dash clocks into your conversion, then you just need the dash wiring harness as 99% of the dash info comes from the engine/trans ECU.

Am i right when i say there shouldnt be any security device issues doing it this way,
        Depends if your LS is an early or late '97.
        If it's an early '97, then there shouldn't be any security to worry about.
        If it' a late '97, then you'll need the ignition key, the ignition lock surround (black plastic ring) and the small transponder unit thats connected to it behind the steering wheel column shroud.

There is a way 'round the security if it's the later version, just use a '95/'96 ECU and swap the ignition signal wires at the ECU.
        the tricky bit is just making it all fit. Cheers to all you guys who have done this and share your knowledge with us lesser knowledgable DIY ers.

The LS dash is much wider and deeper than the Surfs, so expect a lot of cutting shaving and fibreglassing to make it fit!

Send me your engine harness and for a fee I'll prepare it with fuses and relays needed to get your engine running.
        I can supply wiring diagrams that cover everything on the LS400/Soarer from 1990-2000 as well.

Good luck with the swap, it's well worth the effort.

Comment

Cheers Bushwhacker, hope to start in a month or so, havent purchased 1997 lexus yet, so ill wait a wee while on a 91-94 model, does anyone know where else to get one other than ebay, gumtree or autotrader? In the next couple of weeks ill purchase my happy face.

Comment

Cheers Bushwhacker, hope to start in a month or so, havent purchased 1997 lexus yet, so ill wait a wee while on a 91-94 model, does anyone know where else to get one other than ebay, gumtree or autotrader? In the next couple of weeks ill purchase my happy face.
            Oooops! Not face, that wee star you all have.

Comment

wiring

Let me thinks, dont use full lexus dash, only use the section with the display dials made to fit, remove gearbox, engine and dials wiring along with ecu. Remove Surf engine, gearbox and dials wiring along with Surf ecu. Could i transfer the wiring that runs from the ignition barrel in the lexus and fit the barrel in between the seats somewhere like the Saabs of old? My surf barrel would stay in place only to free the steering lock, i ask this because the security device that is in my surf just now may prevent me starting the lexus engine, this device is wired to everything!
              One more, what Tools do i need to complete the conversion, anything special?
              Cheers.

Comment

Engine space

Looking at Bushwhackers conversions made me think, as i have a 6ins body lift now but will be increased again to about 10ins when im doing the V8 conversion i may have to pull the inner wings outwards to clear the camshaft covers. It all adds up to a lot of work but possible.

Comment

Looking at Bushwhackers conversions made me think, as i have a 6ins body lift now but will be increased again to about 10ins when im doing the V8 conversion i may have to pull the inner wings outwards to clear the camshaft covers. It all adds up to a lot of work but possible.
                  6" of body lift on lift blocks is first class hillybilly. 10" deserves a thread on barryboys lol, get some pictures up please.
                  Brian

Comment

Hell yeah!
                    Photos of the truck as it is now please before this thread can continue any further.

Comment

Brilliant, I had forgotten about Barryboys, haven't seen it for couple of years.
                      Pictures definately needed now please. Interested in seeing this now.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        6" of body lift on lift blocks is first class hillybilly. 10" deserves a thread on barryboys lol, get some pictures up please.
                        Its not blocks, the body is lifted by steel tube that is almost 3ins wide with 5mm wall thickness that is welded to chassis. I would like to do a steel frame on top of this that would add another 3 to 4inch.

Comment

Its not blocks, the body is lifted by steel tube that is almost 3ins wide with 5mm wall thickness that is welded to chassis. I would like to do a steel frame on top of this that would add another 3 to 4inch.
                          There is also steel tube supports at 45° angle from chassis to top of the 6ins main lift tube, it is done so it will never bend, twist or snap.

Comment

There is a chassis on chassis conversion on here somewhere that really is the best option for huge lift. You must have had a lot of faffing about with gear selectors, fuel filler and steering going up 6"
                            Would be good to see your pictures.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                              There is a chassis on chassis conversion on here somewhere that really is the best option for huge lift. You must have had a lot of faffing about with gear selectors, fuel filler and steering going up 6"
                              Would be good to see your pictures.
                              It used to be a 2.4td auto, burst the head on that then fitted a 1kz with manual box and got a company to make me two 4ins lift blocks from solid block of alloy to lift both gear levers, also extend gear levers down the way from pivot point to match, this created a short shift as well, extended the top part of gear levers 4ins as well and i still only have 4ins of movement in lever from 1st to 2nd and so on.

Comment

Working...
                              X