modifying the engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying the engine mounts

Hi All, after the engine mounts split when i was off roading in bala last month, I decided to change the design. Originally it was a once piece mount that went straight to from the engine to the original surf mount. As you can see the sharp angle the bracket hit the mount, it put stress on the rubber mount in a shearing action and that’s what happened to it a few weeks ago, the rubber sheared.

So after a bit of pencil scribbling I have come up with the below and seems to be a better solution and the load on the rubber mount seems to be more uniform and more in compression, which is what it should be.

Not there is any hard or fast rule about this bit of the design for the conversion, just though would share the love
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Looks like a real good job you done there Danny. Very factory looking.

Comment

You might want to tighten those bolts though, look a bit slack to me
      PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Nice!

I've been looking at LOTS of surf/Hilux 1UZ mounts recently (sad I know) not seen any like this, it makes good sense!

Is that 5mm steel?
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Having the engine pressing more uniformly down haven't you lost a lot of the suspension effect of the rubber mounts? Just my opinion
          Last edited by markjd; 1 March 2013, 18:47.

Comment

They are at an angle like that in most OEM Lexus setups... and Supras for that matter...
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Would you have any interest in making me these mounts dannyboy77?

Or if you still have a copy of the drawing lying around?
              Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                They are at an angle like that in most OEM Lexus setups... and Supras for that matter...
                Lexus mounts have a liquid (gel) centre, not solid rubber like the Hilux mounts.

Comment

Working...
                X