yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

manual gearbox-what power/torque will they handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual gearbox-what power/torque will they handle?

I've tried searching but nothing but conversions etc came up

I have the itch for a hilux surf again, but want a manual not auto and I have a friend keep trying to sell me his ls3 engine (345bhp and 350lbf ft)

Anyone know if the gearbox will take it?

Thanks Rob

No, it won't.

If the gearox doesn't break the rear axle definitely will!

Comment

I very much doubt it.
      The original set up is what, 130 bhp
      Your asking it to handle 345 bhp.

Every thing has limits, and this is way over the top.

I would say the most you would want to torture your transmission with, would be about 200 bhp.

Gra.

Comment

Ok thanks,
        I'll have to save up for the gearbox too, whats the score with rear axel upgrades?
        I would have liked to keep the 4x4 but ths is probably being unrealistic to

Comment

LS3 doesn't have 345 hp, it has 430 hp. Are you sure its not an LS1? (354 hp)
          LS3's go for silly money, so surprised he's struggling to sell it... Where's the Tremec T56 or TR6060(?) box that was stuck on the end of it?

And how much does he want for it?

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            LS3 doesn't have 345 hp, it has 430 hp. Are you sure its not an LS1? (354 hp)
            LS3's go for silly money, so surprised he's struggling to sell it... Where's the Tremec T56 or TR6060(?) box that was stuck on the end of it?

And how much does he want for it?

Yep my bad I was russan

It is an ls1 and he's not trying hard enough to sell it, it is for a project of his but he knows I like the idea of putting the same engine onto a surf :-)

Comment

I dont know what power the surf gearbox would take,but i have put 350bhp through a standard rear axle and i never had a problem with it.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                I dont know what power the surf gearbox would take,but i have put 350bhp through a standard rear axle and i never had a problem with it.
                Was it a manual box?
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                  Was it a manual box?
                  No it was a modified C63 auto box.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post

350bhp maybe, but not 350ft/lbs torque.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      350bhp maybe, but not 350ft/lbs torque.
                      I dont think it would of been far off that.The original 5 ltr tvr engine output was 380bhp at the flywheel,given that it was a few years old and had lost a few ponies,so around 350bhp and 350ft/lbs of torque would be a good figure to use.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Unless they break regularly you can't assume manufacturers make axles that will only handle the stock engines power, many buy in, or make direct copies of axles from other manufacturers which are built stronger.

Ford Capris for instance came with different axles, one of which would struggle with 150bhp and the other that will take over 300, the tough one was alos fitted on the 2.3 Cortina estate and that never had more than 105bhp!

Volvo 940 turbos had a max of 190bhp, but the back axle will take 500bhp and live as it's a Dana axle and was originally designed for heavy duty off road and commercial use. :S

I'm pretty sure I've read of people using Hilux axles on cars with v8's in, especially in Oz where they are plentiful and cheap and it saves paying extra for a LSD so they must be pretty tough.

Comment

Working...
                        X