Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1KZ-TE Conversion, running issues

Hi all,
    I've come from HPOC as I've put a 1KZ-TE which I bought from Bushwacker into my LN105 Hilux Pickup.

Thing is there's only one other truck with the TE conversion on there so they don't know much about the engine.

The conversion went well, generally, and it started on the first try which is always good when doing conversions involving ECU's (I was expecting a lot of turning over, head scratching, and wire fiddling before it finally fired up).

I just have a couple of problems which I can't seem to get my head around.
    Cold start is always good, fires straight up.
    However, if I just 'flick" the key as I was always used to in my 2.4na, it knocks/shudders violently for a second before it seems to come up to normal idle. If I leave the starter engaged for a few split seconds longer than I normally would, this doesn't really occur.

This problem is much more prominent when up to temperature.

Also, at normal operating temps (doesn't happen when cold) - if I depress the clutch after driving at speed (30mph+) the engine seems to drop below normal idle, shudder, then come back up and idle normally. Takes off fine, doesn't seem to actually affect the normal driving at all. If I drop down the gears so the engine slows down gradually, it doesn't happen either - or is only very slight.
    When starting hot, it starts fine and idles normally and this problem doesn't occur until it's driven a bit first.

Can anybody shed any light on what could be the cause of either of the above?
    I've tested continuity to make sure the ECU is definitely getting signal from the water temp sensor, but can't get the multimeter probes in easily to test sensor resistance.
    Same with crank position sensor, though I could get the meter probes to that one easily.

I tried starting without the crank position sensor plugged in, and it starts exactly the same.
    I tried running it without both sensors plugged in (though didn't drive it) and it seems the same. I expected the idle to be rougher without the water temp sensor plugged in. Though idle does seem ever so slightly smoother when it's cold.

Background info, in case any of it makes a difference:
    Manual trans, M/T ECU
    No 1st gear position switch
    Cable driven speedo, so road speed isn't fed into ECU

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Sean

Wow, overwhelming response

In case anybody is interested, or for future reference if anybody has similar symptoms - disconnecting the VSV's has solved the warm idle issue.

I guess either the VSV's are connected wrongly, the butterflies weren't working properly, the intake is blocked up and the butterfly restricts it that bit too much, or something like that.
    Cold = fine as it's probably good to run a tad rich when cold.
    Warm = not good, you wouldn't choke a warm engine...
    Which would explain the problem, assuming the normal position of the butterflies is wide open...
    Shutdown is rougher, obviously, but it's not THAT bad.
    Part of me is curious as to why the system isn't working properly, and part of me wants to just remove them altogether. *shrugs*.

Still have the rough start up sometimes. Could be a faulty crank position sensor I guess.
    Last edited by a.basic.username; 1 September 2012, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by a.basic.username View Post
      Hi all,
      I've come from HPOC as I've put a 1KZ-TE which I bought from Bushwacker into my LN105 Hilux Pickup.

Cheers,
      Sean
      Hi Sean,

As you can see, it's really nice here. People who love their surfs' / hilux' a lot of them are here. By the way, how could I get intouch with Bushwacker? I was thinking of getting a 1KZN TE for my winterpack 2LTE blacktop Surf to transplant, if possible M/T.

Thanks,
      MJ

Comment

Hi! I have similar problem, when pushing the clutch idle drops below normal (shaddering?) than jumps back, but no solution so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mj1226 View Post
          Hi Sean,

As you can see, it's really nice here. People who love their surfs' / hilux' a lot of them are here. By the way, how could I get intouch with Bushwacker? I was thinking of getting a 1KZN TE for my winterpack 2LTE blacktop Surf to transplant, if possible M/T.

Thanks,
          MJ
          I can't give out Vince's private contact details, you'll have to message him on here. Though I don't see a private message function...

Originally posted by maxigaz View Post
          Hi! I have similar problem, when pushing the clutch idle drops below normal (shaddering?) than jumps back, but no solution so far.
          I "solved" my problem by disconnecting the plugs which control both the VSV's.
          Obviously this isn't actually the solution - it's just a quick fix to stop it from shuddering.
          There must be a reason that the VSV's aren't doing their job properly. That's the part I haven't had time to figure out yet, and nobody else on here seems to know / want to offer any possible solutions.

Once I've sorted my problem I'll post the solution up on here.

Comment

Originally posted by a.basic.username View Post
            I can't give out Vince's private contact details, you'll have to message him on here. Though I don't see a private message function...
            Hi Sean,

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.
            I understand that but this is the reason why I am asking for at least and email-add for me to start with Because the problem here is that there is no PM function.... and it's only available with a paid subscription. bummer.

Please, at least an email add that I can get intouch with Bushwacker(vince)
            I know he is into lexsurfs. He has tried aiding me with my gearbox/tranny locking up at "P" before. Via this site.

Or maybe when you get to converse with Bushwacker and let him know about me? yeah?
            im putting up my email (mj1226@gmail.com)

My engine is fine but I just want some more "UMPHFFFF" off of it. U know.

I am looking for a 3.0 L 1KZ-TE turbodiesel I4, a M/T if possible, but A/T will do if there's none else. (half cut or just the complete engine set will do)

thanks a bunch,
            MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mj1226 View Post
              Hi Sean,

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.
              I understand that but this is the reason why I am asking for at least and email-add for me to start with Because the problem here is that there is no PM function.... and it's only available with a paid subscription. bummer.

Please, at least an email add that I can get intouch with Bushwacker(vince)
              I know he is into lexsurfs. He has tried aiding me with my gearbox/tranny locking up at "P" before. Via this site.

Or maybe when you get to converse with Bushwacker and let him know about me? yeah?
              im putting up my email (mj1226@gmail.com)

My engine is fine but I just want some more "UMPHFFFF" off of it. U know.

I am looking for a 3.0 L 1KZ-TE turbodiesel I4, a M/T if possible, but A/T will do if there's none else. (half cut or just the complete engine set will do)

thanks a bunch,
              MJ
              Hi MJ,

As I said I can't give out people's details without their consent (I don't have an email address for him anyway) but I have PM'ed him on hpoc.co.uk with a link to this post so he's been made aware and will get in touch via email if/when he has time.

Best I can do, sorry!

Hope that is of some help.

Sean

Comment

Working...
              X