Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0TD auto into 2.4

Hello to everyone,

I have seen a lot of talk on here about shoehorning a 4.0l V8 into the Surf.

I currently have a 92 2.4 auto with a possible head failure, Steel Seal keeping it at bay for the moment.

I have seen an untidy 3.0 auto for sale on a 94 plate and was wondering if it will be a simple in out swap.

1. Are the engine & gearbox mounts in the same place.

2. Will the ECU need changing without changing the loom.

If anyone has heard of one been done I would like to hear about it.

If this is a viable option, does anyone know what the towing capacity of a 3ltr auto is, I know the 2.4 towing max is 1400kg.
    I will be towing with it at some point and possibly upto 2000kg.

Been to look at some HJ80 4.2 but for the money they want they are so untidy compared to my surf. That made me think about the swap, save some money and keep the truck I know.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

1. Are the engine & gearbox mounts in the same place.

Not sure anout engine mounts, but there are different styles of gearbox crossmembers though.

2. Will the ECU need changing without changing the loom.

ECU and Loom are different, which is lots of hassle to fix

Towing won't change, apart from going quicker up hills. There isn't a definative towing wieght for a Surf, most people go with the UK/US 4Runner specs which are 1500kg or 2200kg depending on who you talk to.

A far easier swap would be a 3.0 4Runner motor and manual box, but TBH its far cheaper quicker and easier to just fix the head on yours, or just buy a 3.0, good ones are around for as little a £1k these days.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

3 ltr lump

Hi sparkie

If your intrested I have a full 3 ltr set up for sale good motor ecu and box the whole lot including harness
      You can get me on 07950573122
      Thanks Rob

Comment

Hi

With regards the engine and box etc, is it still in a complete surf or out and ready to be collected.
        Could be interested in the whole vehicle if the price is right.

Are you aware of any difference in engine mount positions etc.

Kind regards

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X