Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb 1kd-ftv swap in an 88' 4Runner

Hello all,
    My name is RB, and I live across the pond in the USA. Recently, my 3vze showed really bad signs of wear due to oil starvasion from a clogged oil screen on the sump from the previous owner.
    I have been searching for a diesel conversion for the last year, and leaning toward the robust 1kd-ftv. On my side of the world only a few swaps have been done(one by an owner and the others by companies). The challenge to do this swap in my weapon of choice, RN61, became a sooner then expected obsticle as I don't feel I have vetted enough research to this conversion.
    With the above mentioned I am trudging on to gather information and catalog issues I may run into during this swap. I know it will be a wiring challenge, so I am search of a halfcut with the desired mill and Trans.

Here is a link to my build thread on yotatech.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f199/rbx-1988-4runner-build-up-thread-221587/

And a link to the swap information
    http://www.yotatech.com/f116/88-4runner-1kd-ftv-swap-new-w-pics-251234/

I'm hoping to get more information from folks that have experience with this engine and hope to find sources for knowledge about a similar swap. I have been advised to just put a 1kz lump in. If the 1kd wasn't so much more efficient and powerful I'd go this route, but since I am doing this myself I'd rather invest that time and experience into the best engine I can shove in my rig.
    I'm not asking for specifics on this thread, like search results(I can do that) just thought Id introduce myself before I start asking questions and posting on threads.

Cheers,
    RB

Suggestions?

Comment

Any one? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
      I am about to source a halfcut, possibly from the Liverpool area rather then Oz since a a friend has a container set to leave in the next month.

Comment

Hi RB,

I'm pretty sure that no one on here has swapped their KZN130 or LN130 for the 1KD (D4D) engine.

The cost of buying a 1KD over here is about the same as another truck!

The best advice I can give you regarding the swap is to keep things simple.

I've done several 1UZ-FE conversions into Surfs (4Runners) and I keep the engine and it's associated wiring seperate from the patient vehicle. That way if there's any problems they're easily delt with, or if the original engine needed to go back in for some reason, all the original wiring and even engine transmission mounts are still there.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
          For starters, yes they are a pricey lump. I need to transfer all the electricals and the gauge cluster. I am not sure how much of the complicated wiring I cankeep separate but that sounds like a wise idea. And my crossmember is already custom since I have a gear driven transfer case mated to an r151 from a 93 v6. I can fab a new one that bolts in stock location to the frame, and probably will.

Comment

Working...
          X