Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vvti??

Hi All Lexurfers,

Could be a stupid Question but here goes...

Can anyone tell me the Differences between a standard and a VVTI lexus V8.

For Vinces Lexurf conversion XXXMXXVII If I were to get hold of a 2000 ls400 w/VVTI would there be any issues when it came to Vince fitting it in a 2nd gen surf?

Electrics are the main concern, although it's going to keep the original manual transmission.

They have built-in security in the ECU, but if you get a complete running car then that won't be a problem as it'll have the transponders in place.

More power output too.

They also have a different cylinderhead design which means, should the timimng belt ever snap then pistons and valves will be wrecked. This doesn't happen on the non-VVTi engines.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      They also have a different cylinderhead design which means, should the timimng belt ever snap then pistons and valves will be wrecked. This doesn't happen on the non-VVTi engines.
      Ahhh... thought it couldn't all be good news, Is it common for them to snap though? as long as its serviced and looked after etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwakka666 View Post
        Ahhh... thought it couldn't all be good news, Is it common for them to snap though? as long as its serviced and looked after etc etc.
        I've never heard of one actually breaking, shredding yes, but not breaking.

The belts have a five year lifespan anyway, so as long as it's replaced before dropping the engine in there'll be no worries.

I've seen timing belts with well over 100k miles on them that still looked OK, a bit shiny though.

Comment

I've seen timing belts with well over 100k miles on them that still looked OK, a bit shiny though.
          Given your liking for all things shiny, that wouldn't be an issue?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

shiney is all well and good but seeing the post from 3 lions the other day, that belt looked mullered light. :suprised:

Comment

shiney is all well and good but seeing the post from 3 lions the other day, that belt looked mullered light. :suprised:
              Seized waterpump.
              The belt didn't break though.

Comment

Seized waterpump.
                The belt didn't break though.
                Yep you've got me there in: and power wins over reliability anyday. Speaking of lexurf III, I'd love to have a similar twin exhaust but assume theres not space for an underslung spare anymore?

Comment

Yep you've got me there in: and power wins over reliability anyday. Speaking of lexurf III, I'd love to have a similar twin exhaust but assume theres not space for an underslung spare anymore?
                  Correct, the two silencers take up the spare wheel space on Lexurf III, so the spare has to go in the boot. Lexurfs IV & V have the same set-up just different mufflers.
                  If you're going to fit 33" tyres, the spare would have to be rear mounted or kept in the boot because it won't fit underneath anyway.
                  You could still have twin exhausts with an underslung spare (31") wheel though, it'll just cost a bit more for the extra tubing bends.

Comment

Correct, the two silencers take up the spare wheel space on Lexurf III, so the spare has to go in the boot. Lexurfs IV & V have the same set-up just different mufflers.
                    If you're going to fit 33" tyres, the spare would have to be rear mounted or kept in the boot because it won't fit underneath anyway.
                    You could still have twin exhausts with an underslung spare (31") wheel though, it'll just cost a bit more for the extra tubing bends.
                    boot it is then! Dropped some new bfg m/t 33's off with TonyN yesterday. Thanks muchly for the info vince owe you a beer or two.

Comment

They have built-in security in the ECU, but if you get a complete running car then that won't be a problem as it'll have the transponders in place.
                      Sorry Vince I've got hold of the seller and the car has to be broken down for spares, could you list what's needed from the engine bay? Or would you suggest looking elsewhere?

Comment

Working...
                      X