Gearbox temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox temp

So i had my first go at towing with the Lexsurf yesterday did about 20miles all ok, however i did notice the temps are a bit higher than normal driving. the engine stayed between 80 and 95 deg and the trans about the same. what sort of thems should i be worried about?

The engine is 'safe' up to 120* apparently, reading some threads on Lextreme from a guy who lives/drives in Arizona.

Talking of gearboxes, I still have your old one here and it has a much deeper sump than the Lexus 'box, and I think they're interchangeable, which means more fluid capacity which will help with keep the temps down. Want me to take it off and post?

Comment

120 really i was worrying thiking if it gets to 100 it would be toast!!

yeah that would be good on the sump idea is there enough clearance under the truck to fit it?

send me your paypal and i will cover postage etc. if you dont have any use for the box then scrap it as i bet you have them coming out your ears now!!

Comment

ive had mine close to the red a few times then stopped when off roading but that was a coolant loss problem (checked engine oil for milky substance i.e. gasket and no trace also new thermostat!) as with a 15LB pressure cap on the filler near the rad you can hear it release pressure sometimes coolant as in the morning you can see a wet patch on the floor where the coolant has dripped on to. i have added an expansion tank (rover 214-25 as has a 14.5LB cap) to it and will put up pics later when at home

with gearbox oil heating put a cooler on it like i did think in mods section that will keep the oil cool no matter what you get up to! full day at bala for example!
        Last edited by dannyboy77; 27 September 2010, 13:26.
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Working...
        X