No announcement yet.

The official "I forgot this bit" when I did my Lexus engine swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Aston style vents are what I'm doing!
    I've made the vents shape out of some 6mm ply, scribed around it onto the bonnet and cut out. Then use the ply shape as a former for the aluminium mesh so that when it's installed it sits flush with the bonnet skin.
    Photos to follow, the mesh hasn't arrived yet.
    Paypal: febsnowman@talktalk.net

Cheers.

Comment

thanks for the dash Vince have fitted it!?! bit ropey but a lot better than what was there before!

also fitted 2 grill strips over the valve head letting lots of heat out! will put a pic up when get around to it!

Another one to add to the list. Figuring out why the speedo doesn’t work with the lexus dash and now found the answer after reading both lexus FSM and surf FSM. The lexus speed sensor 1 (which in this swap I used the surf speed sensor 1 which is located on the transfer case) I found gives out 20 pulses per revolution of the drive shaft and the surf speed sensor 1 which I am using only gives 4 pulses per revolution.
      In the lexus FSM the speed sensor 1 gives out 20 pulses which is then read by the combimeter which then gives the ECU a 4 pulse reading so with a surf speed sensor 1 connected to a lexus combimeter you will get a reading a 5th of the speed you are doing hence when I was doing 70mph on the motorway I was getting a reading of about 15mph on the combimeter.
      So unless you can fit the lexus speed sensor 1 in the transfer case or get the gubbins out of it to fit in to the surf’s speed sensor 1 you will need to use the surf’s combimeter unless you don’t want the speedo to work.
      Also im not sure how this interacts with the ECU as this speed sensor acts as a back up for speed sensor 2 so if on the lexus the pulse reading goes from 20 to the combimeter then 4 to the ECU theoretically the surf is giving 5th of a reading and ECU could think you are going a 5th of the speed you are actually doing and change down gear to what it thinks is right? (this last bit is a theory)
      this is what could have happened to me on the way back from bala. Also for a bit of info if both speed sensors fail to give a reading you don’t get any code light warning and it goes in to 1st gear only, anther possible reason what might of happened to me at bala?
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Working...
      X