Timing Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt

I am going to change the timing belt on my 3.0L TD 1993. All the articles on here show the 2.4 Td BUT with a reference stating that it is much easier to do on the 3.0 and much quicker.

So what has to be / does not have to be done to make it quicker or easier.

Regards

Karl Pettit

Originally posted by karlp
    I am going to change the timing belt on my 3.0L TD 1993. All the articles on here show the 2.4 Td BUT with a reference stating that it is much easier to do on the 3.0 and much quicker.

So what has to be / does not have to be done to make it quicker or easier.

Regards

Karl Pettit
    You don't need to remove the crankshaft pulley for a start!!, then there is also much more room.

Cheers

Comment

I have a 2.4 but have heard that with the 3Ltr that the tensioner should be checked.If I remember correctly they are hydraulic and something on them can fail.Someone on here with a 3Ltr will hopefully be able to supply more info on this.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        I have a 2.4 but have heard that with the 3Ltr that the tensioner should be checked.If I remember correctly they are hydraulic and something on them can fail.Someone on here with a 3Ltr will hopefully be able to supply more info on this.

Neville
        Neville is correct. If you can get a new tensioner then it is worth doing. You need to remove it anyway to change the timing belt (if you reuse, you need a vice and a small allen key to compress it then hold it compressed while refitting. The allen key is inserted in a hole in it which goes right through the unit and holds it in the compressed position.

If you have a look here, the procedure is shown

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

Cheers

Comment

belt tensioner

You will be better off budgeting for a new hydraulic belt tensioner, some go soft after they have been pushed back in the vice.
          Cheers Steve.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Karl

Comment

I have just looked at the timing belt covers on my 3.0L . Can someone advise me because I believe it has already been changed.
              On the belt cover there is a notice (in Japanese) that indicated change belt at 100,000 kms.

On the fan cowling is another notice with the same Japanese markings and the number 96700 with what looks like a date 3 7 4 (3 July 2004).

Would you say this has already been done.

Karl

Comment

Working...
              X