Another starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another starter

Had problems starting the vehicle this morning and missed an important meeting at work.....tried about 5 times to start the vehicle with just a clunk being heard!.....

flipped the bonnet and found one battery half of its battery fixing, so pushed back on, checked the connectors..all seemed fine...tried ignition...still clunk.....half way through conversation for calling out AA tried ignition and it started...the b**ger!!!!

First time this has happened...and other than connections getting wet...any other reasons???
    Gaz

Originally posted by Gizmo

First time this has happened...and other than connections getting wet...any other reasons???
    Is your bonnet front edge seal there ? If not rain water may be getting under bonnet and onto batterys . Rain water can cause a sort across the terminals and flatten batt or stop charging .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
      Is your bonnet front edge seal there ? If not rain water may be getting under bonnet and onto batterys . Rain water can cause a sort across the terminals and flatten batt or stop charging .
      Thanks for the info...believe its still there..was in too much of a rush and tantrum this morning!!!especially when your in a meeting with the MD [and is my immediate line manager].....would have thought that I would have had this effect from off-road trip at Barton, and when clearing out engine bay with pressure washer at the weekend! but No problems until today
      Last edited by Gizmo; 21 October 2004, 22:18.
      Gaz

Comment

I submerged nearside battery headlight etc at Slindon, opened bonnet it was covered in about 5mm of sandy crud ran ok. I also jet washed the engine bay last night with no ill effects .....,yet.

Steve
        Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Just put it down to moisture as later on in the day the engine started without a hitch but just needed to clear that its not solenoid or glow plugs etc...need to get more technically minded [give me a PC to take apart any day]
          Gaz

Comment

Gaz

This happens to me regularly since summer 'moved off'. Its down to 1 or 2 things: starter contacts or battery.

with a cold morning, an aging (4 yr old) battery will be thinking about letting you down sometime soon (me? my battery came from an '89 sprinter which was abandoned outside our job one evening and seeing as my battery showed less ability than this did, I .... had it. It only puts out 270 CCA but in summertime that is fine!)

Anyway whatever the reason it clunks like yours at the worst times.

Put it in gear with the handbrake off, get out and without closing your door just rock it fwd and back, get in and try to start it again .... lemme know !

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              Gaz

This happens to me regularly since summer 'moved off'. Its down to 1 or 2 things: starter contacts or battery.

with a cold morning, an aging (4 yr old) battery will be thinking about letting you down sometime soon (me? my battery came from an '89 sprinter which was abandoned outside our job one evening and seeing as my battery showed less ability than this did, I .... had it. It only puts out 270 CCA but in summertime that is fine!)

Anyway whatever the reason it clunks like yours at the worst times.

Put it in gear with the handbrake off, get out and without closing your door just rock it fwd and back, get in and try to start it again .... lemme know !

Happened again today at work...put the car in Neutral, moved the car backwards and turned the key...vehicle fired up!

Tempted to say it could be the starter as the batteries look pretty new with all markings still on and after disconnecting each one in turn and turning the ignition on, there was no drop detected in the needle
              Last edited by Gizmo; 22 October 2004, 19:39.
              Gaz

Comment

Thats funny - you did it in neutral while I did it in gear. My thinking is that you are slightly rotating the flywheel and so the starter parts too, but that cant happen if you've put it in neutral. Anyway it worked so thats good.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                  Thats funny - you did it in neutral while I did it in gear. My thinking is that you are slightly rotating the flywheel and so the starter parts too, but that cant happen if you've put it in neutral. Anyway it worked so thats good.

Just thinking that something could be sticking and the rocking motion has moved it
                  Gaz

Comment

Good News

Well picked up the Starter Kit today......same model numbers as fieldsy put on the forum

Parts Issued..... Description........ Price
                    T28226-54220.....Starter Kit...........£9.39
                    T28226-54320.....Starter Kit...........£5.78
                    T28235-17030.....Plunger, Switch....£14.92

Total inc Vat £35.36
                    Last edited by Gizmo; 30 October 2004, 10:55. Reason: formatting
                    Gaz

Comment

well done Gizmo, let us know how u get on

Comment

starter

had the same problem for a while. Took your advise and got the parts for exactly the price you quoted and then then the starter stopped playing up. After having them laying around for a bit fitted them today and the solanoid was nearly worn through completely.

Off to france to go skiing for 2 weeks tomorrow.

cheers,
                        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Surfski
                          had the same problem for a while. Took your advise and got the parts for exactly the price you quoted and then then the starter stopped playing up. After having them laying around for a bit fitted them today and the solanoid was nearly worn through completely.

Off to france to go skiing for 2 weeks tomorrow.

cheers,
                          Andy
                          Glad you got it sorted..enjoy your hols!
                          Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                            Glad you got it sorted..enjoy your hols!
                            will do, see how the surf tackles the french alps... pictures to follow

Comment

route napoleon, think its the a or n 275 fantastic road...
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X