Auto box gear park problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto box gear park problem

I have just noticed that when I go and try to select my auto gear shift from park to drive it does not want to change , I press the break , press in the button on the lever but won't move unless you give it real force , once its moved from park it selects all other gear no problem , its only when in park , any thoughts anyone , thanks

I seem to remember someone having a problem like this when the brake light switch was faulty.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Check brake light bulbs.

Nev.

Comment

have you got the ignition on
        are you putting it into park then hand brake
        should be other way round
        the old git

Comment

Yes ignition on , foot on the brake but doesn't seem to want to shift from park without force , once moved from park it works no problem until its back in to park position , when I leave it in neutral its fine button presses in no problem and selects gears perfect just the park position is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Big dog View Post
            Yes ignition on , foot on the brake but doesn't seem to want to shift from park without force , once moved from park it works no problem until its back in to park position , when I leave it in neutral its fine button presses in no problem and selects gears perfect just the park position is the problem
            And your break lights ? All functioning ?
            Сви можемо

Comment

Park problem.

Does the lever come out of park easily if you press the red button?

Comment

What red button ????

Comment

Red Button.

Is there not a red button on the gear shift console, in front of the lever.

Comment

Yes there is a small rectangular red button on the gear box casing haven't a clue what that is for it would be nice to find out

Comment

Read the FAQs

OK, dont bother with the FAQs, we will spoon feed you instead.
                      Last edited by Bogus; 4 April 2017, 17:36.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

It releases the gear mechanism when there is no power in the system, like when you remove your battery for example. In your case, if you hold the red button down, are you able to easily remove the gear lever from park? If so, that would exclude a problem with the actual linkage and maybe point towards an electrical problem, sensors, parking lights etc,as suggested.
                        Hope this helps.

Comment

Red Button.

Never had to use it on my Surf but on all my Patrols it allows the shift lever to be taken out of park with the ignition off or the battery is flat. Also on the Patrol, if you had to use it, the fuse for the brake lights had blown. I assume the same applies to a Surf, hence the remarks about the brake lights.

Comment

Red button.

Sorry Tashtego, didn't see your reply until I'd blathered on. That's the problem with using two different systems!

Comment

Thanks for the comments I will go and give it a try

Comment

Working...
                              X