Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AMC head help me!!!

Hi guys
    I've just fitted a new head and it runs but quite tappy and with smoke out the rear. I've checked the timing and the marks line up. The turbo was fine when the head failed. I am stumped so if anyone can shed so light on this it would be much appreciated.
    GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Would a glow plug or injector cause this? Or a tooth out on timing although it is not running rough

Comment

Check the timing marks on the side of the fuel pump as well as the pulleys on the front of the engine. Also worth checking the TPS body, as well as the glow plugs / injectors

Comment

I never knew there was marks on the fuel pump!! How do I check this? Also if one injector is playing up how do I find which one?

Comment

The marks are on the side of the frame that the spindle goes through at the front of the engine, before the pulley is attached to it, there's a corresponding mark on the body of the pump itself. It's the pump that moves, either clockwise or anti clockwise to adjust the timing.
          Make sure that the timing marks on the fuel pump pulley line up with the marks on the other pulleys as well.
          Unsure about checking injectors, I just replaced all of mine when I replaced the head.

Comment

Originally posted by marcdtr View Post
            I never knew there was marks on the fuel pump!! How do I check this? Also if one injector is playing up how do I find which one?
            Hi Marc sorry to hear of ya troubles Bud,
            As Nige (Rebel V8) says check the marks on Pump First ......
            As for checking injectors, (Just like dodgy HT leads on a petrol engine ya remove it, n you can tell it's down on one cylinder) running rough !!
            With ya truck running on ticking over.
            Crack open each injector nut a little, one at a time (at the point where the pipe joins the injector) it should run roughly n then nip it back up & move on to the next until all are done.
            The one that doesn't alter the running (running rough) when cracked open n then re tightened remains the same rough running is the faulty injector ....
            If I have time on me hands in the week i'll give ya bell to arrange a date/ time to pop round Marc ...

15+ Years of Surfs.... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks for your help guys I've checked the 3 marks crank,cam,pump they all line up. I'll replace the glow plugs and check the injectors I can't think of anything else.

Comment

Found it to be a failed injector. Now the alternator has failed😔

Comment

Sorry wasn't able to get to ya but glad ya got it sorted Marc ...
                  I take my Alternators n Starters here ... http://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/...wley-st-albans
                  If ya can't make it, I could come get it or ya could drop it in n i'll get it sorted for ya ...

15+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers Jess
                    What's your view on milners new alternator £109 and refurbing mine for around the same price?

Comment

A trip up to Markyate is quicker n personally after 40 years experience with em I've never had any problems Marc ...
                      May be worth inquiring about the cost of new one while ya there, ya could be surprised .....

15+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
                      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 31 March 2016, 21:13.
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                      X