No announcement yet.

No Overdrive - ECU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overdrive is basically 4th gear. It normally changes up at around 40-50mph depending on hill/revs. At the moment without it, the engine is at 3000 revs at 60mph instead of 2000 (ish)

Comment

All I can say then is I have another gear that comes in at 70 mph, there is about a 500 rpm reduction in revs a change in engine noise and a lift in speed.
      Do any of you guys go above 50mph,.
      Last edited by soramad; 29 March 2016, 23:21.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
        All I can say then is I have another gear that comes in at 70 mph, there is about a 500 rpm reduction in revs a change in engine noise and a lift in speed.
        Do any of you guys go above 50mph,.
        Doesn't time and space start to fold in on itself at those speeds?
        It sounds like yours is changing up into overdrive a bit late.

I am going to order the caps from RS tonight, and get to soldering at the weekend.

Comment

On the drive home tonight I paid special attention to the gear changes, 1st gear changed to 2nd at around 20mph, 2nd changed to 3rd at around 45mph and 3rd went into overdrive at 72mph all checked on a duel carriage way.
          The o/d light only comes on on the dash with the o/d button out and says"od off", mine is always pushed in with the overdrive on.
          Last edited by soramad; 30 March 2016, 21:18.

Comment

On the drive home tonight I paid special attention to the gear changes, 1st gear changed to 2nd at around 20mph, 2nd changed to 3rd at around 45mph and 3rd went into overdrive at 72mph all checked on a duel carriage way.
            The o/d light only comes on on the dash with the o/d button out and says"od off", mine is always pushed in with the overdrive on.
            Well in my opinion, your auto box should hit 4th much earlier. You have to go over the speed limit before you get to top gear, so in theory, will never benefit from it. I will do the same test on mine when the ECU is back in and working.

Comment

Checked today with my gps o/d comes in at 65mph not 70+.. error on the speedo 7mph at these speeds the others are more or less right.

Comment

Ok, so I replaced all the capacitors in the ECU, but it made no difference.
                I was still convinced the ECU was the problem, so I bought a replacement from a breakers.
                I am pleased and relieved to say that the surf now drives lovely, with all the gears and overdrive, with smooth gear changes.
                I will do some further testing on my old ECU, as I also repaired a couple of tracks, and it would be good to have a backup

My next job is replacing the leaky turbo oil feed/return pipe, which is a bit of a pain in the rear by all accounts....
                Last edited by Stelar; 21 April 2016, 22:23.

Comment

For what it's worth my KZN130 has gearbox lock-up at around 55mph.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Checked today with my gps o/d comes in at 65mph not 70+.. error on the speedo 7mph at these speeds the others are more or less right.
                    Are the boxes on these Aisin units? I'd imagine they are as they're Toyota's but I can't say I've actually checked this.

RE shifting order, I've got an Aisin box on my Bighorn and that would hit overdrive at about 40-50mph depending on the engine load. Once in overdrive if you picked up more speed the torque converter would lock, this gives a drop of a few hundred RPM and increases the efficiency of the transmission.

The Bighorn rarely pulls away in 1st, so for the most part it uses gears 2-3 & overdrive (in the Aisin box it's a 4th gear really) plus the locking torque converter.

If you're getting a drop of about 500 rpm at about 65mph I'd be inclined to suggest that the Hilux has a locking torque converter and this is what you're experiencing - If you were doing 70 in 3rd I imagine you'd be revving the nuts off the engine and the shift to overdrive would cause a very large drop in revs.

Comment

At 70 I am doing about 2500 revs, I wouldn't say that was over revving it as it has always been at those revs at that speed, my 4ltr Soarer does 85 at 2500 revs, if I kick down (to overtake) at that speed it only goes to 3500 revs still another 3000 revs to go so not even breaking a sweat just like the surf.

Comment

Working...
                      X