Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump failure?

hi all,

so my surf has been pretty much faultless for 4 yrs, but yesterday jumped in got about a mile and half down the road and the temp is in the red, the rad is boiling and squirting water into the expansion tank but the heaters are blowing cold.

there are no running issues or more smoke than normal, it starts fine and cant see any water or oil mix.

I am guessing that if it was the head it would loose coolant/not run right and have given some warning?

if it was the thermostat the rad wouldn't get hot and show on the guage but the engine would cook itself?

so I am thinking its sudden water pump failure, it was all good the day before heaters etc working fine, but there are no drips from the pump to suggest bearing failure.

have they been known to just dump the impellors and stop pumping?

anything else to try before stripping the pump off?

thanks

well been for a look in the daylight.....

took 5ltrs water to top up, took the rad cap off and started from cold and it instantly had gas coming out the rad and within seconds started to froth up...

so I guess its a cracked head shame because the rest of the car is in top shape, but I don't have the time to look at fixing it at the min....

what's a good second gen with 100K KM on the clock worth with a cracked head?

might end up stripping for parts, but its too good to break really - solid underneath.

Comment

so - is it worth selling for a potential V8 conversion? the body is pretty good other than the passenger wing, and the chassis etc is solid. wwith about 9 months MOT left, no other mechanical issues and just had a new mech in the tailgate.

or should I break for parts?

Comment

Originally posted by DLowe View Post
        so - is it worth selling for a potential V8 conversion? the body is pretty good other than the passenger wing, and the chassis etc is solid. wwith about 9 months MOT left, no other mechanical issues and just had a new mech in the tailgate.

or should I break for parts?
        stick a new head on, its worth it,
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Having a house to do up, no garage built Yet and working most weekends 12hrs a time with a 1yr old baby to see at every spare moment it's not going to be worth the time.....

I have a xc70 that needs the clutch changing to keep me busy if I get time for car work

I have the space to store it till I get chance but I was thinking it would be worth it for someone who has time to sort it.

I have been planning a upgrade to a land cruiser lc for some time as well, the surf has given a good 4 yrs but it was time for a change before this happened
          Last edited by DLowe; 12 January 2016, 20:23.

Comment

Originally posted by DLowe View Post
            Having a house to do up, no garage built Yet and working most weekends 12hrs a time with a 1yr old baby to see at every spare moment it's not going to be worth the time.....

I have a xc70 that needs the clutch changing to keep me busy if I get time for car work

I have the space to store it till I get chance but I was thinking it would be worth it for someone who has time to sort it.

I have been planning a upgrade to a land cruiser lc for some time as well, the surf has given a good 4 yrs but it was time for a change before this happened
            Fair play mate
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Well.....

The surfs replacement has been bought.....

So what kind of price should I be looking for as it stands? Nearly a full mot, good tyres at2's other than the wings the body is solid and it's showing 100k on the clock, but a chunk of that is in km's

New rear window mech and most of the exhaust

Comment

Working...
              X