Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange chirping/squeeky noise

Hi Everyone,

My knz130 has developed a strange squeeking noise when accelerating on warm up.

It drives and starts fine, but after 2 or 3 minutes of driving when warming up there is a noise when accelerating, the noise gets quicker with more revs and occurs for a minute or so until up to normal running temp, the noise stops if I take my foot off the throttle.

Any ideas what it could be? I have done a few searches but nothing seems to quite match what I am experiencing.

Many Thanks

Fan belt maybe?

I know mine occasionally squeks/squeals until it warms up. You only hear it when accelerating and goes away after bout 5-10 mins.

Comment

Squeaking/squealing noise.

It might be an idea to check the alternator belt first. If it's a bit loose it may slip until the battery is up to normal level after initial starting load from glow plugs and starter. Sounds simple, but my old surf had that problem!

Comment

Thanks guys...

If it was the belts would it happen straight away from cold?

It's only after driving for a minute or so it starts to happen

Comment

Originally posted by Beardless View Post
          Thanks guys...

If it was the belts would it happen straight away from cold?

It's only after driving for a minute or so it starts to happen
          Depends, mine doesn't make a noise for weeks, then out of the blue it'll squeal, some times it's from the offset other times it's a few minutes after

Comment

check to make sure all of the air intake hoses are secure, then check the turbo
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

If it's more like a whistling sound, I recall reading about a spring/ball bearing in the fuel pump. I think the answer was to stretch the spring slightly.

Mine does it now and again. It's on my to do list - someday, maybe!

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help, I mentioned it to a car medic the other day and he confirmed it was probably a belt. At nearly 190km on the clock I've been quoted 240 pounds Stirling to get the cambelt and all auxiliary belts done, is the price ok?
                My little beast also failed her MOT the other day from a handful of anti roll bar linkages that are shot and handbrake not providing force(due to me driving half a mile down the road with it on), not that I use it often but hey ho.

Comment

what truck have you got. The 3.0l cam belt takes about 20 mins!!
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                    what truck have you got. The 3.0l cam belt takes about 20 mins!!
                    I did one the other day in 8 mins - I timed it !! It does have an electric fan though so it has better access

Comment

Working...
                    X