Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake shoes fitted but got probs

Hi All

managed to change rear brake shoes today on my 2nd Gen 1995 surf with no problems on disassembly or re assembly. Problem is now there's a lot of travel in the brake pedal worry before they bite. Any suggestion to rectify this would be greatful received

best regards

andy

Did you adjust the shoes ?

Try driving in reverse at speed & slam foot brake on

Comment

Hi Mate

I adjusted them not through the back opening in the hub but from the front before putting the drum back on. Do you think they should be adjusted from the back. bit difficult to see what your doing that way. I do think they need more adjusting though.
      What will driving in reverse and slamming on the brake do? hey thanks for your help.

best regards

a
      andy

Comment

Originally posted by axelgs1 View Post
        Hi Mate

I adjusted them not through the back opening in the hub but from the front before putting the drum back on. Do you think they should be adjusted from the back. bit difficult to see what your doing that way. I do think they need more adjusting though.
        What will driving in reverse and slamming on the brake do? hey thanks for your help.

best regards

a
        andy
        If you think more adjustment required,then adjust from behind.Remember to raise wheel of the ground & support with axle stand
        Driving in reverse centers the shoes & throws adjuster on

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert,

That makes alot of sense. Will do this tomorrow if not wet .......if it is will probably do the weekend. Will try the reverse thing tomorrow anyway. I tried to do final adjusting through the hand brake but after 50 pumps made no difference. Will let you know how I got on. And thanks again.

regards
          Andy

Comment

also its quite common for the auto-adjuster to be worn and not work. pays to inspect and file them to fit.
            whats quite common is the shoes wear the drum leaving a lip. if you adjust the shoes to the right size, you can't get the drum on due to the lip. so to get the drum on the shoes are not adjusted right up and will need adjusting after drum is fitted.

Comment

Thanks for the extra info tweake👌👍

Comment

if you still not happy with all of that, try to adjust the LSV.
                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Hi Bud,

Not up to much on the mechanism abbreviations👎 LSV ??
                  what is this 👍

just got it...... Load sensing valve😀✊ next question.... where's it located?
                  Last edited by axelgs1; 14 May 2015, 09:07.

Comment

back axle, im sure there is some pics i put here, but i cant find,
                    just follow the brake lines from the wheels, and you will see the lsv, with a bit of a metal rod going along the diff, till you see its attached again but in there you can adjust it

Comment

shackle 1 and shackle 2 you can adjust it

Comment

Bud that's brill let you know what happens

regards

Andy

Comment

Hi all again,

well had the local mechanic look at my brakes. He adjusted them through the back plate and said they didn't need much adjusting but still had the same problem when driving home.

Brake foot pedal still travels a fair way down the stroke before brakes start to bite, if I pump them twice quickly they do come up a bit and the brakes seem more responsive and they feel harder, then if left until the next braking session again I have to pump them again. I mentioned the LSV but he didn't think it would be the reason. He's a seasoned mechanic of 40 yrs. I have had to book it in again and he will spend more time on the system.

could it be something to do with the servo? any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Comment

is it new fluid in all sistem? air in it?

Comment

Hi Bud,

didn't put any new fluid in it at al.....l checked the level all ok. Next time it goes in I going to get him to bleed the system then see where we go from their

regards

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X