Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen surf brake drum removal.

Hi

How on earth can the drum be taken off my car. Have followed all the instructions/advice and using 2 small screw drivers in the little slot on the back plate have tried to move the adjustment cog but it is refusing to budge. I know that in there ...somewhere is a thing I need to press to release the cog and let it be slackened off, but this is not easy having to work back to front hunched over with no visibility of what I am doing. Can anyone help and let me know exactly where this thing I need to press is located - a diagram would be great. I can feel lots of springy things in there but these are probably just that ie springs.

Cheers

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ght=brake+drum
    Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks

Hi Bogus - thanks for the link to Bushwacker's photo guide. It really is great and will help when I get the drum off. I am still at a loss to know how to release the adjuster and rotate it and release it from the drum. As it stands now the adjuster wont move backwards or forwards and the drum is locked fast.

Comment

Never had to release adjusters.

Screw in 2 bolts a couple of threads at a time.Tighten evenly. Will release with a load noise/bang.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Woodwarm - I fear the drum is so tight on that the screw thread would just get get stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by teapot View Post
            Thanks Woodwarm - I fear the drum is so tight on that the screw thread would just get get stripped.
            Man up and give it a go. It,ll work
            Сви можемо

Comment

Check it for fractures before you 'man up' and snap the drum in two!

Comment

and if you find any fractures, well hey ho, you need a new drum , so if you do snap it in 2, youve only snapped in 2 a fractured drum that you were going to have to replace anyway.
                Seriously get your jacking bolts in and doing it evenly, jack the drum off.
                Сви можемо

Comment

Usually the 2 bolt method and a good whack with a mallet at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock will get the drums off without problems. Do not hit the drums at any other time of the day though.

Alternatively get a torch and look into the slot on the back plate to see where to push the adjuster off the wheel, and back it off there. Just remember to spin the adjuster wheel downwards to back it off. It is easy once you can see what you're doing.

Comment

Cheers

Many thanks for your thoughts and advice. I have gotten the bugger off! After having seen a photo of the ratchet mechanism I decided that rather than giving it big hammer on the drum a more serious effort was required to force back the metal bit that sits on the adjuster. What was surprising was the amount of force I had to apply to get the adjuster moving particularly as it had already started to slacken off. Attached 2 pics to show anyone with the same problem where the relevant bits are inside the drum - a great help when working hunched over in reverse though a slot in the back plate. Now I have the headache of fitting a new bearing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Glad you got it off

Pics always helpful

Comment

Working...
                      X