Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU codes

Hi all.

As per earlier post I have had trouble with the surf. It starts fine bit won't rev past 1500 rpm.

I am about to remove the pump and get it checked out the big money being an issue with SPV.

Before I remove it can anyone help with the ecu codes? Following advice from the thread I get the following:

On pause then four flashes (on off, on off, on off, on off)

I don't know how to interpret this.

I t is a1997 3rd gen knz185

Thanks
    Last edited by diysurgeon; 12 October 2014, 11:41.

Thats code 14, Timer Control Valve. (SPV)

No need to remove the pump to get the valve off.

Try clearing the codes first by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins and see if the same code returns.

As you've started another thread on this subject, I can't remember what you have/have not done so far.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply. I have removed the valve, cleaned the filter and removed and cleaned the other filters on the pump. I have put a new fuel filter in and am running fuel from a bottle through the filter so by passing the tank. Just incase there was a blockage in the tank.

As recommended by Tony on a diffident thread I pulled the ECU fuse for 10 mins to reset.

You suggested it would be a problem with the valve and to double check the codes. This looks like it confirms your diagnosis. Thanks. I am having trouble finding a replacement valve. Will the valve from a 2.4 or earlier versions fit?
      Last edited by diysurgeon; 12 October 2014, 11:53.

Comment

Yes, apparently the SPV from the 2.4 will work on your pump. I've seen it mentioned a few times on other off-road forums.

Do you have a multi meter? Check the resistance across the pins at the SPV plug, it should be 10-14ohms.

Comment

I do have a multimeter. I will check that now.

Once again thanks.

Comment

Just checked. It is reading 1.7 ohms

Comment

I bought a spill control valve from a breakers. Just fitted it and still have the problem!!!!!

Help getting desperate now.

Comment

Originally posted by diysurgeon View Post
                Just checked. It is reading 1.7 ohms
                According to the manual that's ok.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                  According to the manual that's ok.
                  Thanks. It was suggested earlier that it should be 10 to 14 ohms. I checked the ohms on the replacement and that is 1.8 ohms.

But my problem remains, it starts fine but won't rev past 1500 revs. Could it be something to do with the timing control valve?

Comment

Originally posted by diysurgeon View Post
                    But my problem remains, it starts fine but won't rev past 1500 revs. Could it be something to do with the timing control valve?
                    The manual states that it could be one of several things. How anybody could guess it for you over the internet is beyond me

If you get hold of the toyota manual it will guide you through a full, very time consuming diagnostic of the whole engine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

There seems to be some confusion in this thread - the error code points to the timing control valve that should measure the 10 - 14 ohms that Bushwhacker stated, but you have swapped the spill control valve that should measure 1 - 2 ohms

hth.

Comment

There seems to be some confusion in this thread - the error code points to the timing control valve that should measure the 10 - 14 ohms that Bushwhacker stated, but you have swapped the spill control valve that should measure 1 - 2 ohms

hth.
                        Apologies its my confusion. I thought Bushwacker was talking about the spill control valve. I have checked the resistance on both now and they are within the accepted range. The timing control valve was 10 ohms and the spill control valve was 1.7 ohms.

I decided to remove the pump and get it checked out by the professions. However i cant get it off. I have undone the three bolts at the back of the pump, the two nuts on the flange and the larger nut on the pulley. It rotates but just wont shift. I put the large nut onto the shaft and tapped it with a hammer but no luck. Will try again tomorrow. Any advice appreciated.

Comment

Remove the pump pulley (4x 10mm nuts I think) and use a gear puller to push the pump out.

Comment

Remove the pump pulley (4x 10mm nuts I think) and use a gear puller to push the pump out.
                            Thanks for your reply. Got the cam belt, pump pulley etc of. That was the easy part. LOL I have 3 leg pullers but not one suitable for this so made one up at work today. Got home too late to test it but will try tomorrow. By all accounts from other websites it can be difficult to remove but we will see how my puller works tomorrow. If it works I will post a picture it might help others.

Thanks again for everyones help on this thread and my original thread (about the car not revving past 1500).

Mike

Comment

I hadn't spotted this thread yet. It sounds like we have similar problems. Although mine revs it just isn't happy about something)

Check the resisters. I have a spare set if you want to borrow to try..

My resisters turned out to be OK. Guessing for me it must be spill valve. Luckily i have the spare from my old pump which wasn't bringing any fault codes up when fitted to the old pump.

Not that anything I've said is much help to you but your welcome to borrow my resisters of my old pump

Comment

Working...
                              X