Help!!!, 3l wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!, 3l wont start

Hi everyone, especially Bushwacker, the truck has stopped!!. First let me explain. Sunday week, truck engine cut out going along -> waited few seconds -> turned key, truck started -> went 2 mile(ish) -> engine cut out again -> wouldn't restart. AA thought it was dirty filter,(couldn't get one) towed home. Obtained one Monday, but the manual lift pump wouldn't draw up the diesel, "bought a new one from Toyota", £140.00!!!!. fitted both, drew up diesel superbly. Pumped it hard, turned the key, engine started. "Hooray I thought", truck sat on drive till Saturday, turned key, truck wouldn't start. Yesterday went through the bleed scenario, ie removed out pipe from lift-pump, drew off 1/2 pint of diesel, reconnected, turned key, truck started, went for a run,5 mile or so, no probs, today turned the key, truck wouldn't start, went through the bleed scenario again, but this time truck refused to start, and still does. I have been "informed" that it could be the shut off solenoid, could it be???,. Can I direct feed the solenoid from the battery to check this, is this possible??. What else could it be please??, I shouldn't think that its the ecu as it seems intermittent, I cracked open a couple of injectors but no diesel came out as I cranked, which points me back to the injector pump and/or cut off solenoid. Hoping some-one has come across this problem and knows the answer, (crossed fingers). Any and all help given will be greatly appreciated. Anxiously waiting for the replies. Thank you all for reading this post. arh

Most likely the fuel cut solenoid (Spill Control Valve) sticking or going bad.
    Have you checked for ECU fault codes? A code 14 will confirm the SPV is at fault.

Comment

Thanks for the very speedy reply Vince, No I haven't checked the codes, as I haven't the foggiest idea of how to do this, please teach me, (bit of a dimbo when it comes to ecu's and thingys). arh

Comment

Have you got an immobilizer on it?
        Could be worth checking it's not killing a feed the the pump etc.

Comment

The saga continues. I did as you "sort of" suggested Vince, ie bared the 2 wires in the photo, connected red to live and black to negative, pumped the primer, and turned the key------ "it started alright!!!", fired up immediately and kept revving way up!!!,-> a seriously large cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust, turned off the key -> nothing,(by this time its way past the rev limit). jumped out and pulled off the live wire, -> instant stop!!, took several deep breaths, prayed that the engine wasn't kaput, turned the key -> "it started" as normal, but a serious amount of smoke was coming out, let it tick over, blipped it a couple of times, still smoking, said in for a penny etc. drove it round the one-way system, (ps. I've moved to Clacton on Sea). still smoking, stopped, had a word with a garage opposite, (left it ticking over), had another go round the one-way, smoke cleared and engine running as before,(fine), got away with one there I think, put it on the drive, turned off, turned it straight back on, truck started!!, switched it off. Hour later, tried to start it -> "nothing" -> solenoid is obviously good, wiring to solenoid obviously isn't. Either there is an intermittent fault between the ignition and the solenoid or a bad earth. I tried at the beginning to start it after just connecting up the earth side of the solenoid, but nothing happened, so I don't think it's an earth fault. Is there a wiring diagram for the 3l kz130 anywhere please???. I think that there could be a relay playing up, or something of that sort. Thanks for reading this episode arh. ps beginning to pee me off now!!

Comment

ps. how do I print off the photos on the forum please. Thank you, arh.

Comment

Right Click > View Image > Print (from browser options) is probably the easiest way.

Comment

Thanks for that Sylux, photo obtained. arh

Comment

Hey Vince, I realised tonight what I may have done wrong, (incidently, the cut off solenoid has been off and tested and it appears to be okay,). Instead of removing the wire from the cut-off solenoid plug, I bared the wire and connected to it, forgetting that the wigglys travel both ways down the wire, so, as I got away with one the other day, tomorrow I will remove the wires from the plug, connect them to the battery direct and see what happens. This time I'll be ready, but I had a tester on the solenoid feed and I'm only getting 9 point something volts coming through, do you, or anyone have a definitive voltage for the surf solenoid, as the garage mechanic says that some vehicles don't have 12v going to the solenoid, which seems a little odd to me. Better still, could you put a voltmeter on your solenoid plug with the ignition on and see what yours reads. Also if it is 12v to the solenoid could you take a guess where the voltage is dropping. Many thanks, I'll let you know what happens tomorrow, (as long as it's not raining). arh

Comment

Ok, plan B, after a lot of reading on here I have decided to have the ecu checked out before we go any further. I will post after I have it back in good working order, (check out by the ecu doctor)

Comment

What was the outcome of your problem mate? It seems I 'may' have the same issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X