Off with the head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off with the head...

Well I've finally started taking the head off my 3rd gen .
    It's been using a bit of coolant for the last 20 months but running well with no overheating but I'm taking it to LeMans in July so decided to make a start.
    Taking it easy and have all the intake ducting off with glowplugs and loom, just started with the leak off pipes and injectors, glow plug 2 was a bit tight coming out though.....
    I've left the vac pipes attached to the bracket so hope not to disturb any of that later.

Not sure how to post photos here but have taken a few for reference later.
    I'll keep updating as it goes on.
    Rob
    Last edited by Dobbslc; 1 June 2014, 21:14.

Hiya
    To post pics there's a button bellow the area for posting messages labelled "manage attachements", click that.

Comment

Here's a few pics, just testing my photo loading skills....

Does having a kindle have anything to do with the upload function only working randomly?
      I can get a photo on once then the next attempt won't work! It's 8.30am on a Sunday and I've already had an argument over this!

Is it me or the fugging kindle?

Jeez it's easier taking a surf engine apart than using his ###### photo upload thing
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dobbslc; 18 May 2014, 08:42. Reason: Try to add more photos

Comment

Ah its the kindle...my android phone can't upload pics either (same os for those that don't know).

Comment

16 cracks and counting!
          3 (at least) in every combustion chamber insert and one between the valves on EVERY cylinder.
          How the hell was it still running so well?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dobbslc; 18 May 2014, 19:14.

Comment

It took a few hours with the only real pain being the egr pipe getting in the way when trying to pull the inlet manifold out. Top of the pistons look OK and cylinder deck is pretty clean, I just have to clean it up ready for the new bits.
            I have a few questions if anyone knows the answers to.

1: I have a bit of oil around the rear nearside of the block would this be the head gasket or one of the sensors / pipes around that area?

2: I have a set of egr valve blank plates I bought from a forum member ages ago, can I just leave off the link pipe from between the inlet & exhaust manifolds and all of its gubbings or do I just fit the blanks instead of the gaskets?

3: Is there anything I will need thats not supplied with the roughtrax head kit?

Thanks for any info.
            Rob

Comment

egr plates

when i done mine i left the erg and pipe off
              just used the blanks and i put the gaskets
              back on
              i done it two years ago still fine
              the old git

Comment

Thanks, did you put a bolt or ball bearing into the vacuum pipe that goes to the egr as well?
                Have you noticed any difference to the running or engine management lights coming on?

Comment

egr

nar i just put a bolt in bent it over and put a cable tie on it
                  no diff to running may even be a bit better
                  the old git

Comment

Here's what £900+ gets you from Roughtrax.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dobbslc; 21 May 2014, 20:15.

Comment

Not bad!
                      Do you know what caused the head to crack?

Comment

No idea really, I first noticed it coming back from LeMans in 2012 just loosing a bit of coolant over time, maybe a litre over 500 miles.
                        It started with a bit of white smoke and then ran fine after 20 seconds, it was still running well right up to me taking it apart!
                        There was no overheating, no over pressurizing or anything.
                        I knew it needed doing so finally stripped it down before this year's trip.
                        Hopefully it will all go back together well and have no further problems.

Comment

It's quite weird how these surf engines seem to just do that without anything obvious triggering it...anyway, good luck with your new RT head, they seem to be very good.

Comment

Dobbsic - See you at Le Mans in July. If my Minari kit car decides not to play ball for some reason I will be there in the silver Gen 3!
                            Cheer,
                            Mark

Comment

Hopefully see you there, I'm in the Surf traveling with mates driving a Lotus Excel and Alfa 75..........
                              Not sure who will be towing who!

Comment

Working...
                              X