Laying a trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying a trail

Took my KZN130 to a dealer as soon as I bought it - they said, "nothing wrong with it - it's been well looked after" (which is what the vendor claimed). Virtually trouble-free motoring for three months - starts instantly, good fuel economy and pulls well. Until this morning...

Twice it fired and stopped, then started and chugged - a touch of throttle produced clouds of blue and white smoke from the rear. Quietened down when i pulled away but upon reaching a nearby incline, it laid a trail of blue and white smoke you couldn't even see through. As it warmed up, the smoke went to white and finally disappeared within about a mile. Since then, normal service resumed - no hint of smoke nor loss of performance.

Sooty black exhaust pipe but no sign of mayonnaising under the oil cap, no bubbling in the radiator and no obvious leakage from anywhere. The only anomaly I can think of is a slight high-pitched whine from the turbo first thing in the morning - but the performance is good.

Has anyone experienced this before - or can they make any suggestions as to the cause, before I become completely paranoid?

Checked fuel filter?

Very similar issue on my last Surf. Because I had been filling the tank for the first time in probably years, all the junk on the tank sidewalls was washed off and chocking the sidewalls..

Could be your fuel pump leaking until its warmed up, my Ranger did that and used to chug and smoke until warm. Check around pump for leaking..

Hope this helps.

Comment

Is the expansion tank half full or empty when the engine is cold?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Is the expansion tank half full or empty when the engine is cold?
        Usually about half full - and in response to 'Tokyo drift', the previous evening I'd filled it right up with diesel - but not for the first time.

Now 2 days later and still no repeat performance...

Comment

Did it again this morning - sort of. Started up OK but firing on 2-3 cylinders, with a good puff of blue smoke. Quickly cleared and running fine again. Not in the same league as the previous performance, so I (fondly?) hope it's clearing.

Comment

Working...
          X